5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New Paint Finally

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:08 PM
95gtpa
2nd Gear Member

Default New Paint Finally

Started working on the stang getting it ready for paint. Got the front and rear bumpers off, wing off, fenders off, and the ford emblem off the back. I am going to start sanding tonight and hope to be done in the next few days. As you all can see from my sig it is white. I plan on going to black. My brother works at a local body shop and is painting the car for me. I am doing all the work as it is my car, but just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions. We are painting the car in my garage. I have done ALOT of research and we are going to plastic and heat the garage. If anyone has any suggestions on what they did or tips to make it easier feel free to post. I am going to post up the pictures of the process. Enjoy[sm=thanx.gif]

Front

Passenger Side

Rear
Old 09-21-2006, 07:21 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New Paint Finally

your parents are going to let you paint the car in thier garage?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:32 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

i have heard to spray off the booth with water before you paint to keep dust from flying around and sticking to the car.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:32 PM
95gtpa
2nd Gear Member

Yea my dad is helping also. Besides we are using plastic on everything so it comes out good without a lot of dust. I have cleaned the garage like 10 times but am most likely going to do it again before plastic.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:34 PM
95gtpa
2nd Gear Member

My brother has 2 years exp in painting and that stuff. We painted his car last weekend and It came out great. So Im hoping the same for mine. We did spray the floor before his, it kept most of the dust out. Keep the advice flowing
Old 09-22-2006, 12:22 AM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

If you ever need any autobody advice, try this forum. /My father in law owns a body shop and told me about it. He has done some killer paint jobs and learned a lot from that site.

I have also learned a lot from the site as well.

http://autobody101.com/forums

There are also some how-to videos on there.

BTW, the method I use is as follows, but everyone is different: Clean the floors really well first and sweep the ceiling to remove any spiderwebs, etc....

1. Section off the garage. Painter's plastic works nicely and tape any and every seam from both sides. Leave a way in and out for you.
2. Remove EVERYTHING on that side since items sometimes collect dust inside of them that later tends to "float out" when painting.
3. I have windows on my side, so I like to do this as well. Open one window and tape an A/C air filter into it.
4. Buy at least 3 box fans and face them blowing out of the garage. Then tape an A/C filter to EACH one.
5. Close the door on top of the fans and seal around them
6. Remember to wet the garage floor down nicely.
7. Heat the garage. I have ceiling vents in mine, so they work nicely. If you are gonna do it much, invest in some. Cost me $40. (No open flames!!)
8. Go to work. And remember to take your time and do not drag your feet. This way you wont throw up and water or dust if there's any still in there.

Also, a good paint job is attributed more to prep work than anything. So take your time. You may have hundreds of hours into the prep work, but if you are careful, you can come out with a paint job like no other with very little money involved.

Here's a quick story:
I had to repaint a fender on my old beater Mazda once where a lady creamed me. I had the car sold and had to have it fixed by the next day. I had a donor car sitting on the other side of the garage. I had to remove the fender and headlight and swap them. The hood also had a small bend. I hammered it as closely as possible and sanded down to bare metal and filled with body filler. I got the contour right after about 5 hours.

Once everything was back on and filled where needed, I sanded down the fender with progressively finer grits until it was completely smooth.
Five coats of primer later I painted. WITH A RATTLECAN!! Duplicolor black to be precise.

I then proceeded to feather the paint on the hood and cleared with Duplicolor clear in a rattlecan. I finished this the next day at around noon after taking a 4 hr. nap in the morning. (Ppl coming to get the car at 6)

Barely time to dry I started with some cutting compound to remove some of the orange peel. Then I redid the gold pinstripe and waxed the hell outta the paint. (I know I know. No wax this early.)

When the buyers got there, I had to walk them around the car a dozen times to get them to figure out what I had fixed. I dunno if they ever found it. The paint worked ok, but I hold the prep work to be the reason for the good results.!!

Sorry for the long post.....[]
Old 09-22-2006, 12:32 AM
5.0carlo
2nd Gear Member

All Im going to say is that painting your car black.... make sure the body is in awesome conditon because black is the hardest color to paint. It shows all the imperfections in the bodywork. I work for a paiting company now and we have a 27 foot spraybooth. Just do urself a favor and prep, prep, and prep.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:33 AM
95gtpa
2nd Gear Member

Thanks alot for posting up. Ill read up on the link. DIY selfers post some more info!!!

Again thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 12:45 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

so wtf is up w. your intake/airfilter
Old 09-23-2006, 12:06 PM
95gtpa
2nd Gear Member

lol I just have it rigged so that I can drive it in and out of the garage. I am gonna try and paint most of the engine bay.