5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

This is why you never let a friend help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Old_Smokey
2nd Gear Member

Default This is why you never let a friend help

Well i guess after that beating at the track and the drive home my car was pretty tired. But the best was yet to come when my friend offered to help me do my whole front suspension. 3 weeks later my strut came off on a bump. Why? because my jackass "friend" didnt tighten the bolts enough on the side he was doing (drivers side), but I digress.

So, whatever he F****ed up, big deal, sh*t happens. but it gets better. As I went to fix the problem i discovered he also didnt tighten the ball tie rod nor did he tighten the ball joint and forgot to put the cotter pin in. Well I flipped and i went to his house and knocked on his dorr and asked him to pop his hood (92 LX). as soon as he popped it I took out my screwdriver and 13/16 open end wrench and broke loose his strut bolt and said "If you got the ***** to drive around like that without tightening that back up, I wont kick your ***".

Moral: Never let someone else touch your car unless you know for a fact they know their ****. I always worked solo but with such a big job i figured I needed a hand. Dumb me.

Pictures soon to come!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:35 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: This is why you never let a friend help

holy **** dude, did it do any damage??? I would've done the same thing! I would've put that screwdriver straight into his chest (probably not really), that's what I thought you were going to say! I bet he was speechless.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

damn, i tried installing my friends brandnew expensive speakers, and his little bro was helping me and he shifted the speaker while i was screwing it in, and it knocked teh screw off the head of teh driver and the head went right through his brand new speaker [:@] even though it was more his bros fault he woulda killed him so i took the fall for it... yea do it solo or shop it.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:22 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

My friends helped me out all the time, they're actually pretty good. That sucks dude, Hope everythings ok
Old 10-24-2006, 09:26 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

You be responsible for your car... if you were dumb enuf not to inspect every thing, including your own work, you deserve it...
Old 10-24-2006, 10:07 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: randy78045

You be responsible for your car... if you were dumb enuf not to inspect every thing, including your own work, you deserve it...
I totally agree. Plus remember the guy is your friend and did at least try to help. While he did f-up big time, don't put too much blame on him.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:20 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

that was just being an ***,I know you were mad and rightly so but, always go over things even for peace of mind I look over all my work once after I have done it....**** happens....
ORIGINAL: Old_Smokey

Well i guess after that beating at the track and the drive home my car was pretty tired. But the best was yet to come when my friend offered to help me do my whole front suspension. 3 weeks later my strut came off on a bump. Why? because my jackass "friend" didnt tighten the bolts enough on the side he was doing (drivers side), but I digress.

So, whatever he F****ed up, big deal, sh*t happens. but it gets better. As I went to fix the problem i discovered he also didnt tighten the ball tie rod nor did he tighten the ball joint and forgot to put the cotter pin in. Well I flipped and i went to his house and knocked on his dorr and asked him to pop his hood (92 LX). as soon as he popped it I took out my screwdriver and 13/16 open end wrench and broke loose his strut bolt and said "If you got the ***** to drive around like that without tightening that back up, I wont kick your ***".

Moral: Never let someone else touch your car unless you know for a fact they know their ****. I always worked solo but with such a big job i figured I needed a hand. Dumb me.

Pictures soon to come!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Old_Smokey
2nd Gear Member

I totally agree is is partially my fault for not double checking this guys work but to be fair if you guys heard the game this guy spits out you would prob think hes a cocky little ****, he even tryin to show me how to do **** meanwhile telling me he is the mustang king. yeah well w/e like i said **** happens we live and learn, should of double checked em.

and as for damage, well my wheel was basically sideways on my car until i fixed it and as for the strut tower... well the strut basically chiseled its way through the tower leaving perfect circle holes all throughtout. you can even see where the strut just grazed the master cylinder.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:04 AM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

Situation does suck dude, but just like you already said you shouldve checked. From how you talk you guys must be really good friends.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:52 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ima agree w. almost everyone... im sure he didnt do it on purpose... and **** man he was helpin ya out... but yea... w.e. i or anyone else,,, yes even myself does work on my car... i always look it over at the end just to double check everything... just incase...