5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

CAI KITS: Are they just shiny???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 07:32 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI KITS: Are they just shiny???

60-70??? from ebay? man thats alot i got one for 20 after shipping, plus they accitently sent 2 and billed me for one.. now thats a steal
Old 11-30-2006, 07:59 PM
capnacee
2nd Gear Member

I think the fact is pinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and they all stink.[:'(] If you want a CAI buy it, like it whatever...If you dont want one or dont like em, don't buy em. simple as that. But there again JMO(and I'm sure it stinks).
Old 11-30-2006, 08:01 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif] JMO "yes it stinks too"
Old 11-30-2006, 08:08 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

ORIGINAL: FoMoCo

Im tired of how people critizize your induction system. The fact is that colder air makes more power. But i dont understand all the BS surrounding the subject. I never understood all the crap about hot air and cool air. first of all, when youre driving 70mph, air is coming from the front of the car. now if you have a box, that means less air than an exposed filter.

Now hot or cold, does it really matter? Carburator engines dont have fenderwell intake kits. Do they get hot air and make less hp?(not everyone has a ram air hood or cowl)

now cold air. How cold really? you have kits now that go to the fenderwell. wow really 15hp? and those are some pretty shiny chrome kits. So shiny that, well, they get hot cause theyre not plastic. So is that a "cold" air kit.

Oh yeah and who really needs cold air if all you have is the CAI kit and some pullies? Maybe even gears...
You will realize that real power is made by the guys who spend the big bucks.

If you want cold air get an intercooled supercharger.

Please everyone clear this out...
Actually cooler air doesn't really make power, it increases engine efficiency which, in some cases, makes more power at certain rpms. Cooler air is denser than warmer air, so denser air means more air can be taken in by the intake. Also, carburated systems do have fenderwell air set ups, look at the old four eye mustangs. Also, hp gains from cold air intakes vary, some cars will get as little as 2-5 rwhp (3.8L V6 Stangs) others will get upwards of 15 (4.6L 3V 05-07 GT), it all depends on how restrictive the stock air box is, and how much air the intake/heads can take in. Also, the air is in the chrome intake for such a short period of time that it never has a chance to heat up more than maybe 1 degree, if that, ever touch a chrome intake after it's been driven, it's not scortching hot, it's warm, but not hot, and a plastic intake will do the same. Also, cail kit nad pullies.............WTF are you thinking a CAI = Cold Air Intake.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:09 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I bought mine for cheap off ebay to add cosmetics to my engine bay, it's just a plus that it sucks air from the fender. Obviously any lil HP you can scoop up helps, but nobody should buy one expecting a drop in ET. Cold air does help, otherwise your car wouldnt feel faster at night when the temp goes down a few degrees, but who really knows if its enough to make a difference.

Also, once you take your air silencer out it's no longer really sucking from the fender. It's sucking by the fender but it's not sealed off like the fender mount intakes, also like said the CAIs are smooth and large diameter, it's prolly good for a couple HP with a MAF, TB and intake.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:10 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Also, watch those ebay cais, a lot of them have serious mounting issues, and don't hold their shine over time, and the filter is crap. In short, they are made out of very poor quality materials. If you want an intake that will last a long time, then invest in a MAC or BBK.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:12 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

Also, watch those ebay cais, a lot of them have serious mounting issues, and don't hold their shine over time, and the filter is crap. In short, they are made out of very poor quality materials. If you want an intake that will last a long time, then invest in a MAC or BBK.
thats prolly true but mine looks identical to a MAC and shines like a beast
Old 11-30-2006, 08:14 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i'll agree with the filter is junk, and the shine i wouldn't know about got mine painted from black to red (set wrong color) car was going to paint in a week anyway
Old 11-30-2006, 08:27 PM
wht90lx
2nd Gear Member

I have one, its not worth it, dont buy one, you can buy pullies or save up for a throttlebody. I bought mine cos I wanted something easy to install to get my feet wet.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:48 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

thats prolly true but mine looks identical to a MAC and shines like a beast
Well the one I had bought off of ebay for my old V6 was a MAC look alike with a K&N filter, but after a year, the damn cai totally lost its shine, like it went from chrome to nearly satin, then just before I traded the car in, the rubber hoses were starting to dry rot, it mounted perfectly, but the quality of the parts was something to be desired.