5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

PCV system ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 05:25 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

Default PCV system ?

I have read VRIStang's pcv writeup and have a simple question. He(you) say that you shouldnt run a breather cap for your oil filler tube, i know i have one, im not too fond of it cuz with a Mach 1 hood water collects in it and when i open it, its spilles right over the breather is this a problem or not? And when i look down the fill tube i dont see that "flat piece of metal" i see the Roller rockers, and the TB-VC hose it is moist. So i was wondering how important this is to get fixed? and how hard, im sure i need to get it done soon,
Thanks in advance for everyones help!
Heres his link-http://www.freewebs.com/vristang/pcvoilcontrolissues.htm
Old 01-12-2007, 06:01 PM
ROTTITANK
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: PCV system ?

The link u posted is right on point. Junk the breather and get a cap.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:24 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

thanks thats what i was thinking, i dont like the water drippin on it when i ope the hood
Old 01-13-2007, 01:45 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

OK so i know i need to junk the breather and get regualr cap. Now what about this baffle im not too sure how important this is and how hard to fix? Any help would be appreiciated, Adder im sure you'll know something on this
Old 01-13-2007, 02:53 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90Lxstanger

OK so i know i need to junk the breather and get regualr cap. Now what about this baffle im not too sure how important this is and how hard to fix? Any help would be appreiciated, Adder im sure you'll know something on this
Glad to hear the writeup got you thinking about the pcv system.

Using a sealed cap would be best.
The TB/VC hose can have some 'dampness' to it, and still be ok. What you don't want is to have oil dripping from the hose when you pull it.

I suggest installing the sealed cap, then keeping a close eye on the intake manifold. By manually opening the TB you can take a look at the inside of the intake.

Some folks do just fine with the valve cover baffle removed. Others (myself included) had to reinstall a baffle.
How you install the baffle will depend on your creativity and fabrication skills. Some folks have been able to weld in a new baffle plate which clears the rockers. Others have been able to grind down the mounting flange on the valve cover, and remount the factory baffle on the shorter flange.
I used some JBWeld to hold a custom bent baffle in place. I put about 10k miles on it and it was holding up quite well.

Again, keep an eye on how much oil is getting into the intake. If you do start having problems it would be preferable to take care of it sooner rather than later.

Just some ideas...
jason
Old 01-13-2007, 04:42 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

Hey thanks Jason, and yes your writeup has got me thinkning and is also very informative too. The hose when ive checked before, when damp, but not dripping with oil, so maybe its not too big of aproblem. When i've looked in the intake before, it had some blowby, but nothing too serious, I mean i've seen way worse on my brothers Grand Marquis, but i'll keep and eye on things and keep stuff posted if i need too, again thanks Jason