5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

aftermarket head questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:53 PM
highwayinthesky

Default aftermarket head questions

now this is not one of the "what kind should i get" question i have a more important question.

seeing as my 5.0l is NOT in a mustang, it is in a RX-7, the physical dementions of the heads are vary important to me.

i would like to know if the AFR 165's are the same size as stock heads. mostly i need to know if the AFR's will raise my valve covers any higher then stock. i am also planning on running 1.7 rockers, i thought this info would be important. any thoughs would be great and if some one could get a pic of a set of AFR 165's beside the stock E7 heads that would be even better.

thanks alot
Old 01-20-2007, 10:56 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: aftermarket head questions

ORIGINAL: highwayinthesky

now this is not one of the "what kind should i get" question i have a more important question.

seeing as my 5.0l is NOT in a mustang, it is in a RX-7, the physical dementions of the heads are vary important to me.

i would like to know if the AFR 165's are the same size as stock heads. mostly i need to know if the AFR's will raise my valve covers any higher then stock. i am also planning on running 1.7 rockers, i thought this info would be important. any thoughs would be great and if some one could get a pic of a set of AFR 165's beside the stock E7 heads that would be even better.

thanks alot
thats gonna kill ya, u could stick the afr's under the stock valve cover no problem with 1.6 rockers, but 1.7 rockers wont fit on the stock e7's without bigger valve covers so ur gonna have a problem with that
Old 01-20-2007, 11:35 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

What about Cobra valve covers? Mine dont look very tall at all, but i cant say I've seen a GT valve cover up close
Old 01-20-2007, 11:42 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

this is true
so get urself some cobra valve covers and be done with it
ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

What about Cobra valve covers? Mine dont look very tall at all, but i cant say I've seen a GT valve cover up close
Old 01-20-2007, 11:44 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

first off why do you need 1.7 rockers?tons of cams based on a 1.6 and IF you need more lift then a simple rocker arm change is all that is need..also you can use 1.6's on a 1.7's base lift as well....they do now offer a thicker gasket that will keep the use of stock valve cover with 1.7's..but could possible interfere with intake, also a set of gt-40 heads would work well with a set of serve duty cut back valves which improve flow..off top my head around 5-8% even more with 5 angle valve job, but of coarse going to larger valve will unshroud the opening for better flow,mostly on the exhaust side....but if it was me I would opt for a set of canfield aluminum heads they flow well and as with any aluminum heads are up to 50 pounds lighter AND dissipate heat better
Old 01-21-2007, 12:14 AM
highwayinthesky

i was thinking of going with 1.7 rockers not for a huge cam but to help eliminate valve float and as a base for a sturdy top end. the aluminum heads are mostly to keep the wieght of the motor down (i am trying to keep the 50/50 wieght distribution of the mazda or atleast as close to 50/50 as possible) and to pick up a few extra ponies in the process. i have not heard of canfield heads before but hey, i am still a rotary guy at hart and this is my first piston motor. i think i will look into the cobra valve covers as i allready have a bunch of cobra parts and will try to find some measurements of the cobra covers. i would still like to get a bit of info on the gasket that fits 1.7 under the stock vavle covers, i didnt think that going to a 1.7 rocker would create such clearance issues. oh well, all i have fought in the swap so far has been clearance issues!!