5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tune Up Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:04 PM
racingboy
2nd Gear Member

Default Tune Up Advice

Backround: Okay here's the scoop. I'm new to this forum, and have just been hanging around it for the past couple days and really enjoy reading the posts. I've been a Mustang lover for a while and finally have bought myself a Mustang.... okay now some of you might not think it's much but it is to me.

The Car: It's an 1985 5.0L GT Hatchback, it's also an automatic...unfortunately. The body is in great shape for the year, with only some minimal surface rust. The car is complete with motor and tranny.

Mechanically: The car runs and shifts so no major overhaul has to occur before driving it, breaks work fine, very little rust, and it's all surface rust, exhaust system is alright, doesn't leak. It should be mentioned that I will not have to ever have the car e-tested because up here in Ontario, Canada if the car is over 20 years old it's exempt from being e-tested.

Aestically: The paintjob has seen many, many better days it is a faded red. The interior needs a good clean up as well as a new headliner.

The Question: What do you guys think I should do to the car and in what order do you think I should do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was just thinking of a basic tune up; oil change, plugs, distrib. cap, air filter, check the timing. But I would like to know what you all think and where you think I should go from there. Thanks a tonne guys/gals!

PS: Is there a good timing to set the car at? If so what is it? Thanks!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:14 PM
thedude
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Tune Up Advice

85 so thats carburated, man that sounds like a lot of potential fun. Mines an 88 and the first thing I did was put in a new clutch, flow master exhaust, and shorty headers. If you advance the timing to like 12-14 with a nice flowing exhaust you should notice a big difference. At least I did.

Body work is always fun. I've got surface rust all over but have been having a good time with my grinder/sander/dremel. I really don't know much about carbs, but I'm sure theres tons of crap you can do.

You know what couldn't hurt, BG44k. I'm 98% sure that is the right name. Its a carb/injector cleaner that mechanics use. I put that stuff in and man I noticed a difference right away.

Have fun.