5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Explorer intake manifold and intake air temp sensor relocation...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default Explorer intake manifold and intake air temp sensor relocation...

So this weekend I put my GT40P heads on, TFS1 cam, explorer intake, etc....car seems to be running well. The only problem is that the lower of the explorer doesn't have a provision for the intake air temp sensor and right now it's sitting below the upper intake reading hot air. I really do not want to pull the lower, so I'm probably going to have a hole drilled and tapped in this location in my upper (red circle on the right side of upper intake):

Or somewhere else on the upper that would work. Anybody see why that wouldn't work? Here is a pic of the rogue sensor:

Thanks all!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Explorer intake manifold and intake air temp sensor relocation...

You could relocate it to the air box or air duct.......
Old 05-14-2007, 02:50 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

I've heard that will cause problems, I read a thread about it on sbftech.com. Not sure though.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:52 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

You could move the ACT sensor to your air box, or drill and tapthe boss on the #5 intake runner.
If you choose to drill the boss (the flat part on the #5 runner) you need to drill and tapped to a 3/8 NPT (national pipe thread).

edit: I'm slow at typing.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:59 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ALMOST STOCK

You could move the ACT sensor to your air box, or drill and tapthe boss on the #5 intake runner.
If you choose to drill the boss (the flat part on the #5 runner) you need to drill and tapped to a 3/8 NPT (national pipe thread).

edit: I'm slow at typing.
I don't think I'm going to relocate it to the boss, that means I'd have to take the lower off and I'm not all about that since I just put it back on. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:29 PM
5_0Muscle
1st Gear Member

I put mine in the air duct, right about the bend in front of the throttle body. Its been there for over a year and the car ran find. It was my understanding the its better to measure the temp of the air coming in than the air in the intake, since it will be heat soaked some. Newer mustangs have it in the air box I believe.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:26 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5_0Muscle

I put mine in the air duct, right about the bend in front of the throttle body. Its been there for over a year and the car ran find. It was my understanding the its better to measure the temp of the air coming in than the air in the intake, since it will be heat soaked some. Newer mustangs have it in the air box I believe.
It does create some problems, taken from SBF tech:

How will the Fox computer react to the ACT being moved from the lower intake to the Intake Airbox?
Thumbing through the TwEECer (CalEdit) this is what can be seen...

In the X3Z Calibration
FN 825B - ACT will increase the engine idle rpm after about 192F, maxing out at 64rpm by 208F
FN 220 - EGR Multiplier is 0 until 58F, maxes out at 1 by 60F
FN 126 - Spark advance starts to retard at 160F maxing out at -2* by 190F
FN 135 - WOT spark advance is retarded starting at 150F, maxing out at -6* by 240F
FN 300 - Open Loop Fuel Multiplier is unaffected by ACT (always 1)
SCALAR - ACT MUST be between 100F and 200F for the Adaptive Strategy to start learning

In the A9L Calibration
FN 825B - ACT will increase the engine rpm by 48rpm at 200F, and a max of 72rpm at 226F
EGR Multiplier is .8 until 0F, then rises to a max of 1 by 56F
FN 126 - Spark advance starts to retard at 160F maxing out at -2* at 190F
FN 135 - WOT spark advance is retarded starting at 150F, maxing out at -6* by 240F
FN 300 - Open Loop Fuel Multiplier is .64 until -40F, .81 by 0F, and maxes out at 1 by 76F
SCALAR - ACT MUST be between 100F and 200F for the Adaptive Strategy to start learning

So what does this mean?
Idle speed – Obviously for both calibrations the affect is going to be minimal, assuming all other idle contributors are working properly. Moving the ACT to a cooler location should not have a major impact on idle speed.

EGR – Moving the ACT to a cooler location will affect the function of the EGR. It would not be recommended to try and pass an emissions test with the ACT in the airbox on a cold day (below 60F).

Spark – The Spark Advance is RETARDED with higher temps. Moving the ACT to the airbox can help to keep ignition timing higher. However, keep in mind that Ford used the ACT as a ‘Safety Factor’ for preventing high temp detonation. False information to the EEC-IV will make detonation more likely when the engine is warm/hot.

Fuel Multiplier – The Fuel Multiplier increases with higher ACT temps. Due to the low temps at which the ACT will impact the Fuel Multiplier this is not likely to cause an issue.

Adaptive Strategy – This may be the most critical one for most daily driver Mustangs. Not allowing the Adaptive Control to function (because the ACT never sees 100F in the airbox), could hurt fuel economy and could cause drivability issues.

Anyway, the lower intake is at the machine shop. Might as well do it the right way.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:56 AM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Glad you found that information I am having mine drilled and tapped before it goes on the new motor. Looks like we got to help each other out on this one.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:33 PM
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: VigCS

ORIGINAL: 5_0Muscle

It does create some problems, taken from SBF tech:

How will the Fox computer react to the ACT being moved from the lower intake to the Intake Airbox?
Thumbing through the TwEECer (CalEdit) this is what can be seen...

In the X3Z Calibration
FN 825B - ACT will increase the engine idle rpm after about 192F, maxing out at 64rpm by 208F
FN 220 - EGR Multiplier is 0 until 58F, maxes out at 1 by 60F
FN 126 - Spark advance starts to retard at 160F maxing out at -2* by 190F
FN 300 - Open Loop Fuel Multiplier is unaffected by ACT (always 1)

In the A9L Calibration
FN 825B - ACT will increase the engine rpm by 48rpm at 200F, and a max of 72rpm at 226F
EGR Multiplier is .8 until 0F, then rises to a max of 1 by 56F
FN 126 - Spark advance starts to retard at 160F maxing out at -2* at 190F
FN 300 - Open Loop Fuel Multiplier is .64 until -40F, .81 by 0F, and maxes out at 1 by 76F

So what does this mean?
Idle speed – Obviously for both calibrations the affect is going to be minimal, assuming all other idle contributors are working properly. Moving the ACT to a cooler location should not have a major impact on idle speed.

EGR – Moving the ACT to a cooler location will affect the function of the EGR. It would not be recommended to try and pass an emissions test with the ACT in the airbox on a cold day (below 60F).

Spark – The Spark Advance is RETARDED with higher temps. Moving the ACT to the airbox can help to keep ignition timing higher. However, keep in mind that Ford used the ACT as a ‘Safety Factor’ for preventing high temp detonation. False information to the EEC-IV will make detonation more likely when the engine is warm/hot.

Fuel Multiplier – The Fuel Multiplier increases with higher ACT temps. Due to the low temps at which the ACT will impact the Fuel Multiplier this is not likely to cause an issue.

Adaptive Strategy – This may be the most critical one for most daily driver Mustangs. Not allowing the Adaptive Control to function (because the ACT never sees 100F in the airbox), could hurt fuel economy and could cause drivability issues.

Anyway, the lower intake is at the machine shop. Might as well do it the right way.
Hmmm,
Looks familiar

In reality the issues you would have experienced would probably have been minimal
However, the computer expects the ACT to measure air from the intake, so it is best to have the ACT there.

Glad to see you doing it the right way, too often the short cut is taken on these cars...

Good luck,
jason