5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Water pump tear down and oil pan ?'s ***Updated with pics***

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 02:27 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Water pump tear down and oil pan ?'s

looks like they hit a man hole cover that was popped up or something
Old 05-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: cassidymustang

looks like they hit a man hole cover that was popped up or something
It would have taken the K member out with it. Thats a really weird dent in the pan.

As stated before, Use the Permatex Black RTV. I'm a silicone *****, so I use it everywhere. Even though they say not to. But I hate leaks, and my car doesn't leak ANYWHERE. The correct way is to use the blue Felpro rubber gasket, and put the RTV in the corners at the front and rear mains. Thats it.

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Default RE: Water pump tear down and oil pan ?'s ***Updated with pics***

ORIGINAL: 00limited7

Alright I was trying to change the water pump and broke the bolt behind the power stering pump.Ihad to take off the timing cover to get to the bolt. So the oil pan had a big dent in it from the previous owner and the drain plug was stripped out. So I took off the oil pan and what a pain.
I had to jack up the front of the engine with an engine hoist. Remove the pick up tube and oil pump before the oil pan would come off.

So tomorrow the repairs start and here's what I bought:
High volume Melling oil pump (25% greater than stock) Is ther anyway to prime before it goes in the car?
All felpro gaskets for the oil pan, water pump, and timing cover.
New oil pan
New water pump
Front seal for the crank( in timing cover )
Solid Motor mounts are on order.

Timing chain looks good. I'll put up some pics off the gear set and bottom end tomorrow And let you guys comment on if they are all stock or not.
Stock gear set?

Stock bottom end?

Dented oil pan!!!

New Pan...

All the crap that had to come off !

Broken bolt in the water pump that started this gaint snow ball rolling down the hill and smacking me in the ****!!!!

My questions are what type of gasket sealer should I use on these parts? I was going to use permatex gray for the timing chain cover and water pump. The oil pan gasket is the one piece rubber Felpro. Should I use Hitac sealer to keep it in place?

Any comments and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys...

While you're in there, I'd probably throw some new bearings in, and go with a set of ARP main bolts. I assume the motor is out of the car? It's cheap enough, and it wouldn't hurt to do it now. If you're really feeling frisky, a fresh set of rings wouldn't kill you. That bottom end is as stock as they come.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:42 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

on any of the paper gaskets like the timing cover and wp, you want to use a spray on high tack gasket sealer, nothing else.
adder are you talking about something like the permatex spray copper coating stuff? i always used a thiiiiin layer of permatex on all my paper gaskets, or permatex on one side, and yellow snotty weatherstripping adhesive on the other (to hold the gasket in place, this works wonders on intake gaskets)
Old 05-16-2007, 02:43 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

i dont know then, but something had to come up and hit it. that would have taken a little bit of force.

Has the care been in a accident?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: my77stang

on any of the paper gaskets like the timing cover and wp, you want to use a spray on high tack gasket sealer, nothing else.
adder are you talking about something like the permatex spray copper coating stuff? i always used a thiiiiin layer of permatex on all my paper gaskets, or permatex on one side, and yellow snotty weatherstripping adhesive on the other (to hold the gasket in place, this works wonders on intake gaskets)
No, it's not the copper coating stuff. They make a spray "High Tack" gasket glue type crap. It just holds it in place, then it just evaporates when it dries. You're really not supposed to use RTV on the paper gaskets. Again, I always do.