5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Justblomekthanx

Default RE: Overheating

Hi thanx for you reply i went and spun the fan it spuns very easily twirled in fact. Is the replacement of the clutch a pain in the pocket? I hope not. What would be the best course of action would you suggest? Thanx James.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:46 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hm, when I read it, I was going to suggest the fan clutch but somebody beat me to it. No, it's not that costly and not at all hard to install so definitely do it yourself to save you a lot of money. All you have to do is loosen the fan shroud, losen the bolts from the waterpump pulley, take off the belt, remove the screws completely from the waterpump pulley and the shroud and fan should slide up and out together. Then unbolt the 4 bolts holding the old clutch to the fan and bolt the new one on and replace in reverse order. Very simple.

Also, if your nylon fan has any cracks in it, I suggest you go change that too they only sell it at the dealer, they don't make the fan aftermarket, all aftermarket fans seem to be electric fans. But if there are cracks in it, don't keep it, if it breaks while spinning you're in a world of hurt.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:03 PM
393Bird
2nd Gear Member

Most of the cars cooling systems are ok, when new. Over the years, the cooling system is coated with deposits that reduse heat thransfer to the water, and also transfer from the water in the radiator. Another is the fan clutchs. The standard duty ones run between 50 and 65% engine speed, depending on temp. They also loose about 25 rpms per year. So, with a old system, you have reduced transfer into the water from crud, and loose transfer in the radiator for the same reason, and the fan turns slower with age.

My 93 5.0 was having slight cooling problems prior to my swap, so I decided to address it head on. I put a Very HD aluminum radiator and a electric fan from a Mark VIII I got in the junk yard for $30. I used distilled water and just enough anti freeze to give decent freeze protection. The new engine has almost 3 times the HP, and has never gone over 185f.

If your car has a decent sized radiator, you should have enough are flow to cool it with out a fan above 55 MPH. In traffic, when most cooling problem happen, a clutch fan is just barley turning. This is wgere a properly sized electric fan shines. It gives FULL cooling where it is needed most, in traffic.

Here is my cooling system upgrade:
http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/birdwork6.htm

The Mark VIII fans move between 3800 and 4500 CFM of air, depending on which year, compared to 2,000-2800 for the after market ones like Black Majic.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Yah, hopefully I get my electric fan from DBECK today! It's off a Volvo, should be good enough, mustang(somenumbers) was the one that gave it to Dbeck to give to me and he says he has it in his 'stang and it cools just fine, so I can't wait to free up that power!
Old 01-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

BTW justblome (what kind of name is that???) where do you live? When I change my fan over to electric I will be getting rid of my nylon fan and clutch and they are pretty new, just changed both within the year I believe. Maybe if you coincidentally live by me you can come pick it up. If I need to ship it, maybe paying for the shipping would make it better for you to just buy new ones, who knows, don't know how much it will cost to ship them.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Justblomekthanx

Rigging joke =) what do riggers say to teh people below them hey you just below me i added the k thanx for ****s n giggles
I guess you gotta be a stagehand to appreciate it. Im in WPB florida im thinking of just going electric should have done it a while ago but thanx anyway.