5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Avoiding Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 01:20 AM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Avoiding Emissions

my freind registers his car at his cousins house in an exempt county. it's easy. just don't brag about it. or you can buy a car that is older than 82 and make it a show car.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

only certain counties done have it. i know butler doesnt have emissions. also in PA they dont use the sniffer on obdII rides. they just plug into the port to see if any codes are thrown. so as long as no codes youre but problem is you still have to pass the visual. You said youre off of I80 ive been up that road quite a few times lately going up to clarion U
ORIGINAL: import slayer

ORIGINAL: pipeliner

Regester it in a county without emmisions. I have done it ever since the made me take emmisions. Go to your dmv pay the and register the plates and friend or family in another county. Of course ask them first
Interesting idea but wouldn't you also need to change your mailing address to that county?
I'm going to be in the same boat soon but the entire state of Pa. has some form of smog testing though. I would need to change my address to another state that dosn't have emissions....if that's even legal.
Pa. does have a process you can go through to get your car exempt from emissions but there are lot of hoops to jump through to get it done.
The mileage limit for that is 5000/year

Old 02-03-2005, 05:34 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Yep, that's my major problem. There is no place in Pa.(that I know of) that doesn't at least have the visual inspection. I would have to register in another state that doesn't have either visual or testing.
The question then becomes...Can you get an out of state vehical inspected in Pa. or would you have to go to the state it's registered in every year for inspection?
Old 02-03-2005, 10:11 PM
propigskin

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

i had to switch plates cause i live in california. there is no county that is smog exempt
i had to switch plates cause i live in california. there is no county that is smog exempt
Your wrong about that one. There are many rural counties in calif that are smog exempt. It is called change of ownership area. You smog your car once when you buy and never again..check out the airresourceboard website at the DMV
Old 02-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

i just pay someone for my car. i dont drive it enough to really worry about it.
ORIGINAL: import slayer

Yep, that's my major problem. There is no place in Pa.(that I know of) that doesn't at least have the visual inspection. I would have to register in another state that doesn't have either visual or testing.
The question then becomes...Can you get an out of state vehical inspected in Pa. or would you have to go to the state it's registered in every year for inspection?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:08 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the responses guys. i know this thread is old but i just found something...

Exemption Forms

The second link down is an exemption form for show/race cars... Apparently all you have to do is send in the form with a picture of your 'race' car every 2 years and you are exempt. What if i found a car similar to mine or did some photoshop work on a picture of my car to make it look more 'racey'? Also... what do you think the ramafacations would be should they find out about this scheme?? I wouldn't classify it as a 'show car' because it will be driven a lot more than the 2000 mile limit, and i would also have to send a copy of my insurance proving that it is a show car. THanks again guys.
-pete-
Old 03-27-2005, 07:30 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Ahhh....I LIKE your thinking!!! Your photoshop idea sounds good. It's prolly worth a try.
I need to get my car exempt somehow too.
Maybe we can work together?

You can email me at jack_roush@yahoo.com
Old 03-27-2005, 07:33 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Ohh..I just noticed your from Illinios. I'm from Pa.
Oh well, your idea sounds good.