5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car is Bucking like a MoFo At Temp!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:39 AM
SpitnCobra
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Car is Bucking like a **** At Temp!!

Hey Fuel Pumps & Filters r known to gum up. I'll with ignition module first. I had that problem for almost 2 months drove me nuts. I changed 16 different things & my problem was the Distributor itself. If your RPM needle is bucking like your car, it's loss of power. Module, ground wire, or hair line crack in the pick up (Distributor)
Old 09-22-2007, 08:10 AM
ford4me

thanks and the rpm needle is bucking it drops from around 2k down to about 1k and right back up
Old 09-22-2007, 08:13 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SweetLou

I can not figure out for the life of me what is causing it. It started a while back, and I thought I may have had some bad gas or something in it, so I put a bottle of Heet in it, and it stopped shortley after, then it started bucking more and more. Now as soon as the car is up to temp, it starts to go "Buck Wild" so to speak whenever it is accelerating or at idle. If I am slowing down it doesn't do it. I had just replaced the radiator, as the old one had a leak, and I am running a electric fan.

Today I replaced the stock distributor cap and rotor with a MSD one, and also replaced the coil for s**ts and giggles. Still did it. And for more back reference, I just replaced the ignition thingy under the steering column.

It drives fine up to temp, but as soon as it gets up to operating temperature, it starts bucing slowley at first, then it gets to the point you can barely drive it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I did pull a spark plug to see what they looked like, and they looked just fine.

I am also running aftermarked BBK headers and big ol` intake that has the filter sit inside the wheel well.

Thanks Mucho!
Check your fuel pressure at high temp, this is when the fuel pump gets stressed. Its probally shot. and the filter and strainer are bad. Also make sure the baffles in the tank are ok.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:56 AM
SweetLou

Well, I have since replaced the ignition modual, still did it. Tried to pull apart my distrbutor, but couldn't pull the shaft apart to replace the PIP. And yeah, the rpm needle is jumping along with the engine. Couldn't fine a vaccum leak anywhere. Guess I will try the erg stuff next. Anyone have any idea if there is a computer controlled box for that, i seen some wire coming out of it, and if so, think you could post a picture to help a redneck out?

Thanks for all your help so far guys!

Almost forgot, it doens't do it buck on deacceleration, only when accelerating, or trying to maintain a speed.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:16 PM
SweetLou

Alrighty, just cleaned the ERG, but it didn't appear to be sticking. Went for a ride, and started to buck at temp again, but today for some reason it wouldn't really do it over 3k rpm. Between 1.5 and 2.5 it was really bad, right below 3 it would barely do it, I could barely notice it except the needle would drop slightly, over 3, no problems. Also it wasn't doing it at idle like it was before either. Think i need a whole new ERG?

I noticed there was a slight crease in the rubber, but it wasn't effecting the vaccum I don't think.

Maybe it is just time I took it in to a mechanic[>:]
Old 09-30-2007, 02:05 PM
ford4me

might be best to take it to shop and have it put on a computer will end up saving yourself a lot of money just my oppinion