5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

whats wrong here..

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:31 PM
crazypony
1st Gear Member

Default whats wrong here..

today i was workin on my clutch cable problem after i was told it was most likely stretched. i went and bought a new cable for it the excact one that was on it before and i noticed something while i was adjusting it.. my fork and t/o bearing didnt have as much freeplay as it did before.. like before i was able to push it in on the fins on the pressure plate and with a little force push on them a little bit today i noticed that when i pushed on it it was solid not tension at all it was as if i was pushing on something solid and when i adjusted the cable.. the fork is what moves inward when you do this but instead the cable was being brought down yes it was on the quadrant and was routed properly as it should it made pedal effort almost impossible and still wanst able to go in gear.. i looked under it at the t/o bearing and fork and had a friend push in th clutch and when he did the t/o bearing shook alot and vibrated and the fork did as well while it was running.. but when its off i can go in too all gears perfectly fine .. so what do you guys think is this problem.. i told the story about how this happend in another thread that is pretty much dead i was ripping on it 1st to 2nd was fine as soon as i go to 3rd the pedal got real stiff and was almost imossible to get in 3rd and when oi did i wasnt able to get it back out.. any ideas would help thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: whats wrong here..

if the cable is fine and quadrant are fine I'd start to lean towards aproblem with the pressure plate and or the input shaft bearing retainer......the throwout bearing may be tilting on a grooved up/ worn retainer and binding or maybe the retainer end is broken off..if that's the case you'll have to pull the tranny but you should be able to shine a light in there and get a good enough glimpse to confirm that
Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

once the tranny is removed, you can unhook the clutch fork and slide it right out of the bellhousing...
Old 10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
crazypony
1st Gear Member

i took it out and my fork where the t/o bearin sits has two spots that are worn like something has sanded it down, on the t./o bearing the fork side of the t.o bearin has to notches in it as well.. the clutch side seems to be fine and i can see where it runs on the pressure plate its off center so is it tilted like you said? how could i have done that just after one time? the imput shaft is fine as well the pilot bearing is ok as well. i didnt lube my cable before installing but i could move the metal braided cable back and forth freely while it was routed the way i have it so i dont think that would be a problem.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:39 PM
crazypony
1st Gear Member

bump