5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

car bucks, no response *update:fixed*

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Red FIVE O
2nd Gear Member

Default car bucks, no response *update:fixed*

well it just happend today,
i drove over a bump and then the car nearly dies then regains then almost dies then backfires.
WTF!?
my car : 87 sd Manual
no recent mods no tampering with anything.
when it bucks i attempted to apply throttle but nothing , noteven the engine reving( so i rule out a slipping clutch)
then i enter N the car is fine , i rev it.. fine no probs.
i shift into 1st it catchesfor a sec. then slows down with out power then goes
i need help guys
if i need to work on it today is my only day
i need quick and accurate reponses
i know some of you have had this prob so share with me you solutions and conclusion
Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: car bucks and has no response

"a rock thrown in the pond",

open the trunk/hatch and bypass the fuel safety cutoff/vibration/shock module.

Unplug the connector and use a paperclip and piece of tape temporarily etc.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

"a dime thrown into a wishing well"

im not sure if the 87s have them or not, but this slightly sounds like a TFI moduel problem, however the bump would have nothing to do with this from my vague experience. I still say, have a good tune up done if you have the money. TFI modules are cheap, and you will notice a HUGE GAIN over your old one, trust me.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Red FIVE O
2nd Gear Member

Well
aode: i tried first to reset the switch maybe it got knocked up. but nothing
cobra: i actually replaced the module with in the year, the other one failed on me.

i did this
1 i reset the comp.NOTHING
2 replaced the cap n rotor, guys the terminals looked like there was crusted tothpaste on them. unfortunatle NOthing
3 Replaced Wires >NOPE
( mind you all # 2&3 needed to be done anyways)
4 Fuel Filter NOPE. but god only knows how ong ago that was changed.
5.Finally the pump, it was a pita to get out. after removing it the bracket broke( the one holding the pump to the harness& lines)
im thinkg WTF now this to aadd to my day. luckily my father who is a fabricator and has all the tools welds it back together.
replace the old wich was loud as HELL. and now this one is Quiet and the throttle response is so much better than before.
i doubt the pump has been swapped in all its 20 years.
it also feels so much stronger
Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

did you bother to check if the baffle was still in place? cause my bet is that a broken baffle snapped the hanger assembly. happened to me.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:22 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Red FIVE O

5.Finally the pump, it was a pita to get out. after removing it the bracket broke( the one holding the pump to the harness& lines)
im thinkg WTF now this to aadd to my day. luckily my father who is a fabricator and has all the tools welds it back together.
replace the old wich was loud as HELL. and now this one is Quiet and the throttle response is so much better than before.
i doubt the pump has been swapped in all its 20 years.
it also feels so much stronger
I knew it was a cut off in fuel from your description,

and they say you cant get a mustang to have a quiet fuel pump
Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

a simple fuel pressure test would of been alot quicker and easier then throwing parts at it until you had no options left but one....but what's that matter it's fixed now right?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Red FIVE O
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

did you bother to check if the baffle was still in place? cause my bet is that a broken baffle snapped the hanger assembly. happened to me.
no i didnt i was to concerned bout the pump that i over looked it, i hope it doesnt affect anything later.
mjr: i am unsure how to check the pressure. yeah it would've been easier but that stuff needed to be changes anyways.
but yeas now its al back together.
on a side note, prior to this incident while haulin *** i could hear pinging around 3k-4k now i hear nothing even past that.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no i didnt i was to concerned bout the pump that i over looked it, i hope it doesnt affect anything later.
mjr: i am unsure how to check the pressure. yeah it would've been easier but that stuff needed to be changes anyways.
on a side note, prior to this incident while haulin *** i could hear pinging around 3k-4k now i hear nothing even past that.

On your fuel rail there is a schredor valve ..kinda like a tire valve and on to that you can screw a pressure gauge.....and for future reference I'd buy one...it'll more than pay for itself....get one with a long enough lead on it that you can tape it to the windshield ..and the reason it was pinging was on a full throttle stomp fuel demands are higher but with a weak pump your pump wasn't able to keep up with the volumne required to sustain max power and you would of seen a drop in pressure on the gauge and the car would of run lean which inturn will up cumbustion chamber temps resulting in spark knock/ ping/ detonation...whatever you want to call it...but I'd buy a fuel pressure gauge for the future...it'll really be useful for diagnostic purposes
Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Red FIVE O
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

On your fuel rail there is a schredor valve ..kinda like a tire valve and on to that you can screw a pressure gauge.....and for future reference I'd buy one...it'll more than pay for itself....get one with a long enough lead on it that you can tape it to the windshield ..and the reason it was pinging was on a full throttle stomp fuel demands are higher but with a weak pump your pump wasn't able to keep up with the volumne required to sustain max power and you would of seen a drop in pressure on the gauge and the car would of run lean which inturn will up cumbustion chamber temps resulting in spark knock/ ping/ detonation...whatever you want to call it...but I'd buy a fuel pressure gauge for the future...it'll really be useful for diagnostic purposes
that is in my near future.