5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MSD 2 step controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:40 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: MSD 2 step controller

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

That sounds interesting. Do you have to turn it off as you launch?
not really, its a relay activated mechanism. I hooked one up in my boss's track car. he has a button mounted on his dach that you can reach out and touch when in first gear. Its also wired to his clutch switch.

In his case, the clutch AND the button have to be pressed for the low RPM limiter to kick. so as soon as he takes his foot off the clutch, the rev limiter shuts off and goes to the high RPM one, and as soon as he hits second gear you are no longer pushing the button on the dashboard, so the low RPM limiter does not kick back on.

I however wired mine to my cruise control button on my steering wheel
Old 11-11-2007, 05:54 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I think I want one....that would be so nice at the track during staging. Just turn it on, mash the gas and go, nice.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:09 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea i wanna grab one to, fo' sho'... just trying to find one u can use w. a stock ign. set up... so far... no dice... anyone know of anything?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:48 PM
CHILLERMAN
1st Gear Member

Adder, Do you have a line lock as well on your car? Also do you have a stock dizzy?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:56 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

I've got a 2 step hooked up to my car(yes an msd 6al is required)(a digital 6 msd box has it built in..)...I also have line loc on it ...My shifter handle(B&M)pistol grip with a button..its for the line loc and 2 step launch...I personally think there must be a better way than lifting off the button and popping the clutch at the same time(IMO impossible).Needs to be 1 action...I've thought about using the clutch switch,but havent figured out how to turn off the2 step after the launchso I dont get the rpm popping between gears..
P.S 2 stepping the launch(gas foot to the floor) is hard on parts.....ask me how I know....
Old 11-11-2007, 09:01 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Also a 2 step uses 2 rpm chips....one for the launch ..an one for the top rpmlimiter.
A 3 step(which I wanted on ebay ,but won the 2 step).has 3 chips ,one for burnout limiter(say 5500)...one for a launch(say 4500)..and a top rpm limiter...
Burnout limiter just helps you keep from over reving in the box accidently...
Old 11-11-2007, 09:01 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 8banger

I've got a 2 step hooked up to my car(yes an msd 6al is required)(a digital 6 msd box has it built in..)...I also have line loc on it ...My shifter handle(B&M)pistol grip with a button..its for the line loc and 2 step launch...I personally think there must be a better way than lifting off the button and popping the clutch at the same time(IMO impossible).Needs to be 1 action...I've thought about using the clutch switch,but havent figured out how to turn off the2 step after the launchso I dont get the rpm popping between gears..
P.S 2 stepping the launch(gas foot to the floor) is hard on parts.....ask me how I know....
if you actually paid attention to my post you would have read that you have to PRESS BOTH TO ACTIVATE IT

once you either let off the clutch, OR release the button... it reverts back to the high rpm limiter
Old 11-11-2007, 09:05 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: 8banger

if you actually paid attention to my post you would have read that you have to PRESS BOTH TO ACTIVATE IT

once you either let off the clutch, OR release the button... it reverts back to the high rpm limiter
What?I was talking about using the clutch switch as an activation switch for the 2 step...and only problem is,,,every time you push the clutch in to change gears,it would re-activate (the launch rpm)the 2 step.....Also kinda why I have a BUTTON on the shifter handle to activate the 2 step and line loc..
Old 11-11-2007, 09:07 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

MY point was clutch switch and BUTTON are 2 actions that cannot belet go EXACTLY the same time...
Old 11-11-2007, 09:11 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Plus having them both wired(cltuch switch and button)makes no sense,,1 button on my shifter does exactly the same thing as your wired 2........

Quick Reply: MSD 2 step controller