5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

air bag install

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:50 PM
95gt302
2nd Gear Member

Default air bag install

just a couple questions

1)where on an sn95 is the air bag module located

2)do you always need to replace the clock spring i have a new but if i dont need to use it ill just sell

3)is this something i can do myself or should i have it done i would like to save some money and put them in myself if its do able
Old 02-08-2008, 07:30 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: air bag install

What exactly are you trying to fix? The module, the bag or the clock spring?
Old 02-08-2008, 07:40 PM
95gt302
2nd Gear Member

all of the above im replacing the whole system i got into an accdient
Old 02-08-2008, 07:58 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Why do you think the module is bad?
Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 PM
95gt302
2nd Gear Member

i have been told that once the air bags go off that you need to replace it
Old 02-08-2008, 08:10 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

the module, never heard that one.

The air bag diagnostic monitor includes an internal backup power supply. This feature provides sufficient backup power to deploy the air bags in the event that the battery ground cable or battery cables are damaged in an accident before the forward and center air bag sensors and safing sensor close. The backup power supply will deplete its stored energy approximately one minute after the battery ground cable is disconnected.
Location.......
In center console behind climate controls.

REMOVAL[*]Disconnect battery ground cable.[*]Disconnect air bag diagnostic monitor electrical wiring connectors.[*]Remove screws retaining air bag diagnostic monitor and bracket to instrument panel brace and remove air bag diagnostic monitor and bracket. Note: Air bag diagnostic monitor is the blue box with two connectors mounted below the climate control head. INSTALLATION[*]Position air bag diagnostic monitor and bracket on instrument panel and install retaining screws. Tighten to 10.2-13.8 N.m (8-10 lb-ft).[*]Connect electrical wiring connectors to air bag diagnostic monitor.[*]Reconnect battery ground cable.[*]Prove out the air bag system. WARNING: THE ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT NECESSARY FOR SYSTEM DEPLOYMENT IS POWERED DIRECTLY FROM THE BATTERY TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY, THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE MUST BE DISCONNECTED PRIOR TO SERVICING OR REPLACING ANY SYSTEM COMPONENTS.

WARNING: THE BACK UP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE ANY AIR BAG COMPONENT SERVICE IS PERFORMED. TO DEPLETE BACK UP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY, DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE AND WAIT ONE-MINUTE TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Air bag removal.......
WARNING: THE ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT NECESSARY FOR SYSTEM DEPLOYMENT IS POWERED DIRECTLY FROM THE BATTERY TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY, POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE MUST BE DISCONNECTED PRIOR TO SERVICING OR REPLACING ANY SYSTEM COMPONENTS.

NOTE: If the air bag did not deploy in a collision, it may not have been needed. Complete all diagnosis before replacing the driver side air bag module.

REMOVAL[*]Disconnect positive battery cable and wait one minute for backup power supply energy to be depleted.[*]Remove two back cover plugs. Remove two screw and washer assemblies retaining driver side air bag module to steering wheel.[*]Disconnect the air bag sliding contact connector from driver air bag wiring. Remove driver side air bag module. WARNING: PLACE DRIVER SIDE AIR BAG MODULE ON BENCH WITH TRIM COVER FACING UP.

INSTALLATION[*]Connect driver air bag wiring to air bag sliding contact connector.[*]Position driver side air bag module to steering wheel and secure with two screw and washer assemblies. Tighten to 10.2-13.8 N.m (8-10 lb ft).[*]Reconnect battery ground cable.[*]Prove out air bag system.[*][*][*][*]Clock spring.......
REMOVAL[*]Place front wheels in the straight ahead position.[*]Disarm air bag system.[*]Remove driver's air bag module from vehicle.[*]Remove steering wheel attaching fastener.[*]Remove steering wheel from upper shaft using steering wheel remover T67L-3600-A, or equivalent.[*]Remove upper and lower shrouds, if necessary.[*]Disconnect air bag slip ring connector from column harness.

CAUTION : Before removing air bag clockspring type slip ring from steering shaft, clockspring must be taped into position to prevent clockspring rotor from being turned accidentally and damaging clockspring.[*]Remove retaining screws and the slip ring/sliding contact.INSTALLATION

NOTE : Service replacement slip ring/sliding contact will contain a locking insert to prevent rotation. This insert should not be removed until slip ring is installed.[*]Place air bag slip ring/sliding contact onto steering shaft and install two retaining screws that attach slip ring to retainer plate, ensuring ground wire pigtail is secured with lower retaining screw.[*]If a new slip ring/sliding contact is being installed, remove locking insert.[*]Connect slip ring/slip ring wire to column harness.[*]Install upper and lower shrouds, if removed.[*]Position steering wheel on end of steering wheel shaft, aligning mark on steering wheel with mark on shaft to ensure straight ahead steering wheel position corresponds to straight ahead position of front wheels.[*]Install steering wheel attaching fastener.[*]Install driver's air bag module.[*]Arm air bag system.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29779/8B8D4157CA9145DBA09626400CDC9969.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-18-2008, 01:06 PM
95gt302
2nd Gear Member

hey well my air bags just came in and i got a new module my question is do i need to replace the module i have told you dont always need to but before i finish up puttin them in should i put the new one in
Old 02-21-2008, 09:16 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95gt302

hey well my air bags just came in and i got a new module my question is do i need to replace the module i have told you dont always need to but before i finish up puttin them in should i put the new one in

I don't belive you do. I had a body shop guy look it up a few years back when I had the same question. According to his book it is not required. After replacing just the bags I didn't have any waring lights or bag related codes.