5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stick shift or auto with turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 03:53 AM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Stick shift or auto with turbo?

ORIGINAL: greenstreak9205

boost only comes with engine load. while reving the motor such as when you push in the clutch there is no load. in an auto you never give the motor a break from a load where as a manual you disconnect the load by pushing in the clutch. that should answer your question

exactly! The key is engine load, which you lose in a manual, and will not lose in an auto car.

But all that aside, You'll never be able to find a manual to handle a good turbo car power****ing, reliably. I'd say go auto, I'm building a turbo car now, and I'm building an AOD for it (I was a t5 car) Just don't skimp on the auto, solid teflon seals, upgraded intermediate sprag, red clutches are a must, a+ servo, good reprogramming kit and a nice stall!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:54 AM
68CSTANG
3rd Gear Member

I would think the automatic would lose some engine load because of the convertor slippage. But I dont know much about boosted cars either.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:59 AM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

So just free reving an engine it won't make any boost? If that's so you have answered my question, thank you.

Hung Like A Stang, yes you can find a manual that can stand the horsepower while powershifting. The 5 speedtransmission he has now would handle it no sweat. The only thing T5 in the transmission he has is the tailhousing and reverse. Everything else is G Force, there are no syncronizers and he has straight cut gears.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:18 AM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

i have a turbo 5.0 and started with a stick, its just too inconsistant, by the time you make full boost, its time to shift and you lose the boost and start all over again. then i swapped a c4, its awsome, you just mash the throttle and bang through the gears with full boost throughout. add a transbrake and youll have some wicked launches.
[sm=gears.gif]
Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92GreyGT

So just free reving an engine it won't make any boost? If that's so you have answered my question, thank you.

Hung Like A Stang, yes you can find a manual that can stand the horsepower while powershifting. The 5 speedtransmission he has now would handle it no sweat. The only thing T5 in the transmission he has is the tailhousing and reverse. Everything else is G Force, there are no syncronizers and he has straight cut gears.
How much power we talking here man? Turbo should be making 400+ rwhp. I agree you can modify synchros for powershifting no problem, but theres no way a t5 is going to last pushing 500ft/lbs of torque unless your grandma is driving it to church. Here's the thing, poeple do it! But not forever and they know it. I have seen the stripped gears from doing it. Thats why I said reliably. Auto's are way more forgiving, not to mention consistent. To me its just easier to build a good tranny in the beginning than keep swapping them out.

and no, free revving an engine does not build adequate boost, thats why you're supposed to run gears like 3.27's to keep more load on the engine.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 PM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hung Like a Stang

ORIGINAL: 92GreyGT

How much power we talking here man? Turbo should be making 400+ rwhp. I agree you can modify synchros for powershifting no problem, but theres no way a t5 is going to last pushing 500ft/lbs of torque unless your grandma is driving it to church. Here's the thing, poeple do it! But not forever and they know it. I have seen the stripped gears from doing it. Thats why I said reliably. Auto's are way more forgiving, not to mention consistent. To me its just easier to build a good tranny in the beginning than keep swapping them out.

and no, free revving an engine does not build adequate boost, thats why you're supposed to run gears like 3.27's to keep more load on the engine.
that and it'll pull like a b!tch