5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cats or No Cats

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:31 AM
mpinkorea

Default Cats or No Cats

Ok so I have checked the threads here and have not really read an answer to my question. I have a stock 89 LX 5.0. The owner before the previous owner decided to gut the cats out. I want to replace the exhaust with a complete aftermarket one. My questions are:

1. Will removing the cats in the form of an "H" or "X" pipe (off-road)adversely affect the engine (idle, hesitation, fuel mixture)?
2. What would be necessary to switch from cats to no cats as far as connections (smog pump, O2 sensor, breather tubes)?
3. Other than emissions what is the reason for cats, are they just to heat the exhaust more to burn off more emmisions?

My state does not require emissions testing and the car is only driven about 2000 miles a year, due to weather and not wanting to have it wrecked. I am pondering going with a complete BBK system (headers all the way back), but would like opinions on what may be a better option. Some things i would like to hear about are fitment of systems and sound (interior and exterior).

Thank-you in advance.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:44 PM
eliptical_illusions

Default RE: Cats or No Cats

well if you want your car to sound good i would go with the off-road H or X pipe...they sound a hell of a lot better...and there is nothing you have to do to switch it other then buying the part...there is no plugs or wires or tubes or anything that will change...help any...me personally i would go off-road X pipe...it sounds better and allows better flow
Old 05-15-2008, 07:48 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Most offroad pipes have the tubes for the smog crap on them but you can eliminate the smog crap too.
Here's a sound clip of my car with h/c/i, short headers, BBK offroad X pipe and Flowmaster Force II mufflers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRtp8UcB79I
Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 PM
zeekstr
2nd Gear Member

Ditch the cats.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Jaked4e
1st Gear Member

go with no cats man deffinitly. sounds much better
Old 05-15-2008, 10:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: mpinkorea

Ok so I have checked the threads here and have not really read an answer to my question. I have a stock 89 LX 5.0. The owner before the previous owner decided to gut the cats out. I want to replace the exhaust with a complete aftermarket one. My questions are:

1. Will removing the cats in the form of an "H" or "X" pipe (off-road)adversely affect the engine (idle, hesitation, fuel mixture)?
2. What would be necessary to switch from cats to no cats as far as connections (smog pump, O2 sensor, breather tubes)?
3. Other than emissions what is the reason for cats, are they just to heat the exhaust more to burn off more emmisions?

My state does not require emissions testing and the car is only driven about 2000 miles a year, due to weather and not wanting to have it wrecked. I am pondering going with a complete BBK system (headers all the way back), but would like opinions on what may be a better option. Some things i would like to hear about are fitment of systems and sound (interior and exterior).

Thank-you in advance.
cats are there to reduce emissions..it is a chemical change/process that occurs inside to change the emissions output.....end result is reduction in hydrocarbons, Nox, ect ect........just put the o2's in the new h or x pipe and hook up air tube and drive away to fun
Old 05-16-2008, 12:15 AM
rebel_yell
2nd Gear Member

also if you replace the h-pipe you can take the old cats to a recycling place and they will buy them from you.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:12 AM
mpinkorea

Thanks guys this helped my decision. I'm going to start checking some prices and get this thing buttoned up.