5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Quick Question about Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:40 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default Quick Question about Upgrades

I am coming to a time where I need to make a decision on my next Mustang purchase. I sold my 97 and now I want another one. I am thinking about a 94-95 vert. Must be a drop top and I really like that body style. How are they for upgrades? Are the prices for upgrades the same as the Fox Bodies? I know they don't cost anything anything to upgrade and am wondering if these are the same.

Any insight would be great. I don't have any friends with these model years and I am trotting around in the dark right now
Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Bump.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:44 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

what are you looking to get out of it? whats your goal? you need a goal in mind before we start spittin ideas out at you. budget if any? all this information would greatly help out our suggestions to you.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:04 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Ehh, not sure where I want to go with it yet. Power is the first priority. I did handling first on my other one and just didn't have the fun I wanted. So let's say a KB will be in the near future. After that, the suspension mods to support the power that blower puts out.

There is no true goal here. This is my DD, but will become my toy when I have another car. I will buy one for around $4000, pay it off and then modifiy it. I just want to have fun with it and I have no "numbers" that I want to hit. I will keep adding until I get the feel I'm looking for
Old 09-22-2008, 11:18 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

here is the deal. on a DD that you're wanting to modify usually if you're starting to tear into the motor you're lookin at a ton of downtime usually. personally i feel gettin a base(suspension) is cheaper and better than modding the hell out of your motor and still gettin near stock ET's. dyno #'s dont make your car fast. with a strong stock motor and a ton of suspention/gears you'd be under 4k in mods and in the mid 12 range easy.

no transfer that 4k to the motor. 4k on motor would probly get you a complete HCI ~300rwhp if done properly. but then you have nothing else done to hook up your ride. 10x's the amount of downtime and you still may only hit the 13's.

if you do suspension first any motor mod you do will make you that much faster ebcause you'll benefit from its full gain. if you're lookin to get a KB...well....full suspension on a stock top end and KB you'd more than likely nail a time slip somewhere in the 11's

trying to mod a DD is tough considering you have to rely on that ride.

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 09-22-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:25 PM
95Saleen
1st Gear Member

94 - 95 the way to go...
Old 09-22-2008, 01:28 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

That's true, but I do have my brother's car that needs to be driven He's in the Army and can't have his car for a while.

But let's say I do either of those options, how's the price compared to the 4.6? Are the upgrades just as easy to find? And are they cheaper/more expensive/same price? And let's take the H/C/I out of the equasion for now. I don't plan on doing those for a long time because of the lack of drivability they can cause and the difference in power isn't all there until you go F/I.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:24 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

sure there is plenty of power to be had with the HCI upgrade. i mean you are talkin 300+ with a good HCI build. but you're not getting it to the ground without a good base. i'm finding more and more people neglect their suspension. yea they have a super powerful motor...but where you goin with all that power? i could smoke my friends 400HP monster of a Z28 out of the hole through first gear but then i cant power shift(tranny issues with mine) and then he'd take off. now imagine each HP adder i add to my build....i just keep gettin fast and fast and the more he has to play catch up with me. its always better to be out in front first, its harder to play catch up....eventually you run out of road.

with that said i think your best bet would be suspension all that way. you'll save money right off the bat, its easier to do, you gain the full potential of what you car already has and you'll have little to no downtime based on the fact its easier to plan ahead and plan your project in increments.

as to the cost, the newer the car the more expensive it will be....that's the case 99% of the time. yes the 4.6's are highly more expensive and way more finniky with the computer stuff and there is a lot more stuff the average joe cant do.