5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need some help with street engine setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:13 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

ROFLMAO this great
Old 12-15-2008, 08:56 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

me also this guy is an old grouch if u ask me ..im not gonna say any more as i might get an infraction ...lol..
Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 PM
cortlan
2nd Gear Member

i've read his posts and he's very knowledgable! His posts have helped me before!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 PM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Ok first off, I didn't mean to come off sounding harsh so if that how it sounded you have my apology. I wasn't trying to nit pick but having been building cars for a loooooonnnnnngggggggg time so I know what gutted is. When you gut a fish you dont leave half the organs in the fish and call it gutted. I wasn't fishing for an insult but trying to find out exacty what you have and what you want so I could come up with a plan I think would work withing you budget. You failed to inform us in your first post about the car itself, then you incorectly descibed it. I wanted to help you but you make it tough. Until you come off the specs for the car. Weight, gear ratio, transmission, stall speed if it auto,distance you intend to drive and your goals for the car it's all really guessing or assuming. Thats not a Ford thing, Thats a car thing and isn't limited to any brand. As far as the WOMAN thing goes how do you know I'm not one

Apology excepted, and I apologize for being rude myself. And I am guessing your not a woman by the fact for name is "postmaster" not postfemale lol. Anyway, point well taken that I did a poor job at describing the car. I plan on making the car a auto (not sure on what tranny I will go with yet either. So any help here will help also), Car will never be driven farther then 60 miles at most. I live in the bay area so I dont have to travel to far to places. As far as gearing and stall speed goes. That all depends on where my motor set up makes power. I have always been a fan of 4.10's but fords have very good low end torque so traction maybe a issue. But since it will be a street car the motor will be on the mild side. This is why I was wanting a nitrous motor so I can wake up the beast at the track. My goal is a solid 10 second street car. Maybe 9's on nos. I am hoping for a good 500-550 hp. Alot of the motors I have checked out on fordstrokers.com and bennettracing show very high quality forged parts with the power levels I am interested in. I am talking to both companies and seeing what the suggest and have to offer.

Last edited by jmh87chpnotch; 12-15-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

hell man i like what portmaster says. he knows what he's talking about. just tell him straight up what you have, what the budget is and what you want out of it. he'll help you out. i too have read his posts and i got alot of respect for him. i haven't been building engines for long, unlike him.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

i'm not sure how reliable a 408+ stroker will be as a DD car, like i read on woody's site, the 347 also is not made for street use, mostly just track. point here being the bigger strokes in a block, i personally wouldnt wanna run all day on the roads
imho, i suggest to have 2 cars purely cause a car with that much power on motor is going to break things. and then you're without your ride for awhile till you can afford to fix it. thats really why i have my 83, my 95 is my DD
Old 12-16-2008, 01:12 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

any motor can be made streetable no matter the cubic inch......***** no one listens
Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 AM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtmustang
any motor can be made streetable no matter the cubic inch......***** no one listens
i'm gonna call bs on that one. cause there is a limit as to how much power it can have and still be RELIABLE! i did Not say streetable
like i said, something That big is gonna break stuff, and then you have no car. it is better to have a second simply cause if one breaks you can take it easy on the other.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtmustang
me also this guy is an old grouch if u ask me ..im not gonna say any more as i might get an infraction ...lol..
I'm old but no grouch for sure. I have a wicked sence of humor. It's just that people ask "whats right for my car" I want to give them an informed decision based on their car. In order to do that I need to know everything about their car because I don't just throw stuff off the top of my head because I heard in on the internet somewhere. The advice I give I've either put to use myself or been right there while it was put use.If that person takes my advice I'm confident they will be happy for the money that they have to spend. I'm a guy who really understands what it's like to build on a budget and in most cases I know how to get the most bang for the buck. I had customers that had unlimited budgets but most of them lived paycheck to paycheck just like I did in my youth. I never forgot what it was like to have 300 dollars to spend on an engine build (circa 1967) and having to cut the ridge out of my old block and overhone it. Buying my cam from Chet Herbert (Any Cam Any Grind 29.95) scouring a salvage yard for a used crank and cleaning it up with emory cloth, a set of 16 dollar hastings rings and grinding my valves down at my dads shop and ordering that new Intake from the back of Hot Rod Magazine and unloading 800 bags of oil dry down at the parts store in exchange for a Gasket set. I never forgot what that was like and the only guidence I had was what I read in Hot Rod magazine and the secrets the older guys would give up while I was hanging out down at their shop sweeping the floor into some knowledge. My dad owned a shop where I worked most afternoons to gain basic knowledge be he didn't approve of my Hot Rod ambitions. I really understood my customers needs and how to stretch a relly limited budget so I was never the guy to say I won't do it. I would just tell them how far their money would go without compromising the build.
Now that I am retired due to some health problems I like to give a little something back. If someone tells me I have X amount of dollars to spend and I have (for an example) a 79 Camaro (heavy car) and I want to get it as fast as I can in a 1/4 mile I'll take his X amount of money and get him about as close as anyone else. A guy working a a tight budget can't afford exotic heads but there are inexpensive alternatives, that same guy can buy an off the shelf grind that carefully selected that make very close to the same power as a custom grind and when it comes to thing like pistons if that person isn't planing on spraying the motor (not good stuff for a guy on a budget) a set of Keith Black Hyper pistons will make more power than the forged because to pistion has less rock in the block. But you get the general idea I hope.
The one thing I'm not is a grouch. If that was the case I wouldn't spend several hours a day on here trying to give back a little of years of real world experiance has given me. There are those people who will tell you to buy custom grind cams, top of the line heads and other exotic things and if you ca swing it I'd be the first guy to say go for it. It's money well spent. But most people only have a certain window to work in and exotic custom parts are not needed for durability which is the most important thing to me.

So if I come off sounding rough sometimes it's because Im really working hard at giving you the best advice possible from real world experiance but I get a little aggitated because I really need to know about what the engine will be used for and what it's going it. It's the only way I can give you an accurate opinion of what I beleive will work for you. My advice doesn't come from a friend of a friend of a friend who read it on an internet site. My advice comes from a lifetime of knuckel busting, greasy handed, trial and error knowledge. It's hands on budget approach experiance. It's real world, real simple uncomplicated suggestions. There are those that will talk over the head of the average gearhead looking to do a build. I'm not that guy. I ran a sucessful business for a long time with that way of thinking. I alway put myself in the other guys shoes. I've been there, done that. I lost nearly everything I owned back a short while back due to heath problems. I had to go back to my roots and do things on a limited amount of funds. I have no problems with it because It's still fun either way. Even when I had enough money to build exotic stuff I kept my stuff pretty much real world because I like stuff simple and I wanted my customers to know they could build what I had with no problems and a reasonable amout of money.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:44 AM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

Wow. Kind of at a loss for words lol. Like I said, I apologize.

Back to the thread lol. I go a email from bennet telling me if I wanted a steet engine to go with the 427 pump gas motot they offer. Kind of price but nice engine. Thinking about all this has got me thinking I am asking for to much. I would rather blow a ton of money on a great suspension set up, tranny seyup, rearend set up, and fuel system and have decent power on something reliable. And later down the road save up for a monster motor.

So now that I am back at the drawing board. Postmaster, after rethinking my set up I am thinking of sticking with my 302. Definatly want to stroke it out to a 331 or 347. I hear 347's are pretty much maxed out 302's but I know alot of people with 347's and they are reliable. A 400hp at the wheels street car would be sweet. How hard would it be to get a 347 to 400hp at the wheels? Also what about a supercharger? Im sure that would make my goal easier, but what about 500 hp to the wheels? Would a superchargered 347 make 500 hp at the wheels yet remain steetable and reliable? Most would answer this question wuth saying its all about money, but lik mentioned before I have 8000 tomplay with and maybe more.

Quick Reply: Need some help with street engine setup