5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oil Leak, and Suspension questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

Default Oil Leak, and Suspension questions!

I just recently installed a BBK Off-Road H-Pipe with an SLP Loudmouth Cat-Back. Loving it. There were bolt-posts welded onto the headers, so I had to remove the headers, grind off the old(stripped) posts, drill new holes and weld in the new posts. Finished hooking everything up and proceeded on as usual. I kept smelling burning oil, thinking it was maybe just a diesel around me or something. Ended up looking under the car, and this is what I saw:

I'm just wondering where the oil loss could be happening. Intake manifold? Grab some new gaskets and give it a go? I was also told it could be the valve-covers, but I haven't touched those since I rebuilt the engine a few months ago. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Also, the next step for me is 4.10 gears and suspension. I'm looking to completely rebuild the suspension/beef up the rear end so that it can handle whatever I throw at it.
Anyone know of some great suspension kits? Any links would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Not sure about the oil leak. Just try and trace it back up as high as you can.

As far as suspension goes. Maximum Motorsports has some nice kits for street, road, and drag racing.

Ive got a full MM set up and love it.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:00 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

thats not a leak, thats a hole. something is very wrong. obviously, do not start that car until you find it.

off the top of my head, the only thing i can think of that could blow that much oil out(specifically down the h pipe) would be a double gasketed oil filter, valve cover, or PCV.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

The spray, or leak only happens when I get on it. So i'm going to have to baby it down to my shop and see what I can find. Thanks for the input though. if anyone else has anything else to add, go right ahead.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

Got under my car earlier, changed the oil(useless probably), and the front brakes. Took a few pictures to give a little more insight as to what I am seeing.

Transmission -

Oil Pan/Where the Transmission/Block connect -

Block, Clutch Cable, Plate inbetween the Transmission/Block -

I wiped everything down and tightened some bolts, but I'm not sure what that will do. When I look under my car after driving, I can see it dripping once every 20 or so seconds for a few minutes, right off of that plate that lies between the Block and Transmission, but it has to be coming from somewhere higher up. Does this help anyone? I worry so much because it is my daily driver, and I drive about 10 minutes to work every day. I have no other vehicle. Any input is GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for the gigantic pictures, just trying to show all of the detail.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:25 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Lower intake gasket is the most likely culprit, given the width of the leak.
Most people don't use the gaskets in the kits, and just lay a bead of silicone across the block on the front and back of the lower intake mating surface. This can eventually lead to this problem, if the bead is small.

At any rate, taking the upper intake off should at least point to the problem, as you'll be able to see a whole lot more clearly.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

I'm using a thick bead for my front and back intake gasket. Tossed that cork crap right in the trash can.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the input. I will be checking the lower intake manifold on Wednesday when I get paid. More pictures will be provided if the problem is not found.