5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Good thing I love this car. Fuel supply/Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Default Good thing I love this car. Fuel supply/Fuel pump?

Okay. My 91 5.0 has a problem. I thought last summer/autumn it was the transmission slipping. (last year it was so random and intermittent, it was almost like whatever happened was something I just imagined and I could never get it to that when there was a mechanic or other knowledgeable person around to ride around in it/drive it) I've decided its either electrical or a fuel supply issue though. When I hit a bump in it, or a lay into it, it bogs or acts like its running out of gas. When its warmed up, say, I've driven it around for a while, and kill it, say at a business or something, I take care of business, and come back out, try to restart it, it'll fire up, run a couple of seconds, die. It's almost like its running too lean or too heavy. It sometimes has problems running at idle, acts like its idled too low, but it isn't.

I've suggested the fuel pump may be getting weak, my husband and his mechanic buddies laugh at me and say its probably a loose wire.

And it may be, but if that's the case, where do I/we even begin to look for the problem?

Annnyyyyyyyy ideas guys?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
Okay. My 91 5.0 has a problem. I thought last summer/autumn it was the transmission slipping. (last year it was so random and intermittent, it was almost like whatever happened was something I just imagined and I could never get it to that when there was a mechanic or other knowledgeable person around to ride around in it/drive it) I've decided its either electrical or a fuel supply issue though. When I hit a bump in it, or a lay into it, it bogs or acts like its running out of gas. When its warmed up, say, I've driven it around for a while, and kill it, say at a business or something, I take care of business, and come back out, try to restart it, it'll fire up, run a couple of seconds, die. It's almost like its running too lean or too heavy. It sometimes has problems running at idle, acts like its idled too low, but it isn't.

I've suggested the fuel pump may be getting weak, my husband and his mechanic buddies laugh at me and say its probably a loose wire.

And it may be, but if that's the case, where do I/we even begin to look for the problem?

Annnyyyyyyyy ideas guys?
Since it seems so intermittent have you tried the wiggle test?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Check fuel pressure and do EEC1V tests. Post results.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

*salutes*

One other thought before I do that Bubba - I've waffled back to wondering if its something to do with tranny slip.

I say this because I've noticed the shifter doesn't lock in in 1, 2, or OD, also I've caught it trying to roll back when I park on an incline and when it does that its because the shifter isn't locking in - and it chatters like crazy.

TODAY I noticed the shifter DID lock in at OD, and it didn't once act up.

I am wondering if I have more than one problem...

Will see about running codes, etc. I'll have to take to the shop to do that.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:46 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

GOOGLE DIY KOER by joel 5.0