5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Just bought a 94 gt..need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 12:11 AM
matholland

Default Just bought a 94 gt..need some help

Hey guys, I just bought a mustang gt 3 days ago. It was in pretty good shape, some stains on the interior, and some minor things wrong with it.

I was looking on the internet and found some people talking about products that worked good on removing stains. I came across Krud Kutter (AMAZING STUFF). The interior was bad enough that the guy I got it from was going to replace it. this stuff brought just about EVERY stain up. My mom was even impressed on how good it worked. So first of all I HIGHLY recommend krud kutter..I got mine for 5 bucks at home depot in the paint thinner section

Anyway moving on to what I need help with.

Cruise control does not work. I got it to work once while I was driving it home, but it did not work right. It would not keep a constant speed, it was constantly pressing the gas and letting off...I got it to turn on a few different times after that, but same thing..It will come on when it wants too...I really would like to get my cruise working.

It has a small miss that I actually didnt notice while checking out the car..you really notice it on a cold start of a morning. Not enough to kill it or anything, but you can hear it miss. I mainly feel it, you can also see it if you pop the hood, you can see the motor shake.

you can also go about 30-35, and put it in say 4th, let off the gas and let the car pull itself, and you can feel the miss in it

Heat gauge does not work right...it generally stays all the way to the left..however sometimes if its warmed up, you turn the car off, then start it, it moves up to o or m on normal.

Odometer and trip stopped working like yesterday lol....my old v6 mustang did this, and i never bothered fixing it...but i figured it is probably the plastic gears behind the dash...how hard are those to replace?

The guy that had it was an older man, seemed pretty honest, he had the car for 5 years. he put a new distributor cap, plug wires, plugs, water pump, thermostat, and radiator in it.

I cleaned the throttle body (it was pretty clean), cleaned the mass air flow sensor...it had some debris on it. I also pulled the IAC, and it had quite a bit of carbon build up on it, and I cleaned off what i could, and I still have the miss.

Speedometer is off due to the 3.73 gears...how hard is it to get the spedo to register right?

The car has flowmaster exhaust, 3.73 gears, aftermarket air filter with no airbox, and thats all that I know of.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:05 AM
95_GT_Stang
2nd Gear Member

First off, how many miles on the new ride?

Also, you said the old man put a new cap/plugs/wires in but was that when he purchased the car or more recently?

As far as the miss, I would start by taking it to your local auto parts store (Autozone/Checker/O'Reily etc) and see if any codes pull off of your car. They will do this for free. Hopefully this will point you in the general area you need to look for repair(s).

To get the speedo to register correctly you will need to purchase the proper speedo gear for the gears that are in your rear end. Here is an example for 3.73's http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...With-373-Gears
Old 11-20-2010, 07:41 AM
matholland

133k.

check engine light isn't on. I will pull the plugs and see what they look like..the cap and wires look new.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:26 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Hi,

+1 to everything said above.

I would start looking at the wiring for the cruise and the temp gauge. You can ground out the gauge sender to make sure the gauge in the cluster is working correctly.

Intermitent issues are usualy wiring related due to poor grounds.

You could try to google for some wiring diagrams if needed.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:07 PM
matholland

Still need help..I tried hooking it up to a snap on scanner, and it would not connect with the computer.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by matholland
Still need help..I tried hooking it up to a snap on scanner, and it would not connect with the computer.
that means nothing....what plug did you use, obd 1 connector?? and you run a koeo/koer test to pull codes
Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by matholland

Speedometer is off due to the 3.73 gears...how hard is it to get the spedo to register right?

a 94 has a 8t drive gear, you need to get a 6t or 7t drive gear. then use the stock 21t driven if thats what u have.

you will take the trans apart though. with an 8t you can only correct to about 3.55 or 3.73 on a t5

see what color the gear is on the end of the speedo cable... thats the driven
Old 11-24-2010, 11:51 AM
matholland

snap on scanner with ford 1b connector connected to the plug by the fusebox. yes, i tried to run the checks but like i said it never would connect with the computer.