5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Possible Blow Headgasket, compression test results

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Vacum and positive pressure are not the same, even though in some context suck and blow are the same.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:23 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks adder, so you think blown head gasket than?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:24 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

So you guys think its the head gasket?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:17 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by kennebellgt
So no way to tell from the compression results? and bubbles wouldn't come up through the radiator from a severely blown lower intake gasket? ( gasket was blown in between water port and the #1 cylinder )
Originally Posted by AdderMk2
you wont get bubbles in the cooling system due to a bad intake gasket. There is no combustion pressure. only intake vac.
Originally Posted by kennebellgt
Thanks adder, so you think blown head gasket than?
You clearly stated that your intake gasket was bad, AND you asked if you would get bubbles in the coolant if you had a bad intake gasket.

NO, you will NOT get bubbles in the coolant with a bad intake gasket. there is no combustion pressure pushing its way into the cooling system. However, coolant will get drawn into the engine because fo the intake vacuum.

So do I think you have a bad head gasket... NOPE.
I do think you need to improve your reading comprehension though.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:11 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

From what I see with the compression test, you don't have a bad head gasket.
There is a test where you see if any carbon diaoxide is in the coolant, can't remember the name for it but it will tell very quickly if there is.
A blown head gasket will show up on this test.....
Old 02-19-2011, 12:45 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by tinman
From what I see with the compression test, you don't have a bad head gasket.
There is a test where you see if any carbon diaoxide is in the coolant, can't remember the name for it but it will tell very quickly if there is.
A blown head gasket will show up on this test.....
block check kit
Old 02-19-2011, 02:40 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

I do remember smelling fuel in my radiator, But I thought that would be from the lower intake gasket being bad, Being that the fuel injector was right above where the lower intake gasket was ripped. If it's not my head gasket I wonder what could be causing bubbles to come up into the radiator. I know my lower intake manifold was extremely loose so there was my huge vac leak problem I was trying to find (lol) Hmm.... I wonder what's going on here. and sorry adder, I comprehend what you are saying, I just have to be %110 sure that the head gasket isn't my problem.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:14 PM
1987gt40ttop
1st Gear Member

a blown lower can often times seem like a head gasket, if the oil isnt milky, theres no white smoke and you got those compression results, i would replace the lower intake gasket and see what happens, thats just my personal opinion, some would say your already tore down to right there so you mine as well even to save cost of possibly having to tear down again. the only other test i would do is take off the valve covers and check to see if the head bolts are loose from stretching from the heat of a blown gasket. I would aslo drain the cooling system and refill it and make sure there are no air bubbles in it the smallest air bubble can make it over heat, so will a clogged journal in the head which could have happened from the head gasket sealer!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

I did not use anti freeze, I noticed that the #1 spark plug had small amounts of rusty little spots, This is where the lower intake gasket was blown, I than noticed even more rusty spots on the 3rd and 4th cylinder spark plugs, I dont know if the water could somehow get to the 3rd and 4th cylinders from the intake being so loose, or if its even water deposits on them. I know the intake runners on the heads are soaked with oil, thats how loose the lower was.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 PM
1987gt40ttop
1st Gear Member

post your results you come up with when you get it figured out, im kinda interested to know what it really is

Quick Reply: Possible Blow Headgasket, compression test results