5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Exhaust Fumes in Car- Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 PM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9550
exhaust leak
theres no other way to explain exhaust fumes in the cabin of your car, unless you were driving behind somebody and had you air recirculation set to allow air from the outside. (not sure what this is called, but one setting re-circulates air from inside the cabin, the other takes air in from the outside)
Jesus Christ, did you read what i've been writing? The car passed smog literally two months ago. The smell was there when i smogged it. It passed. Yesterday i checked for leaks, did not detect any. In fact, the car gave every indication that there are no leaks. There are no, i repeat, *NO* exhaust leaks.

Please, anything else? This is like the only problem i'm having with this car. Could it be the hatch seal? Cause that's pretty much gone.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:13 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Passing smog doesn't really mean anything. Matter of fact, a small exhaust leak will help you pass smog by leaning the mixture further. A poorly calibrated sniffer combined with an inspection tech that doesn't give a hoot = passed car that should have failed.

Hatch seal is a possibility, but due to the air foil that a car creates, it's virtually impossible for air or exhaust fumes to come into the car from behind, while driving. Not to mention you'd need some sort of interior suction to pull air through such a small crevice.

Quickest way to check for exhaust leaks is to cap off both pipes. Hunch yourself down nice and low and cap both pipes with your hands. The pressure inside the pipes should build exponentially and nearly force your hands off the pipes, creating a pressure "pop" noise when your hands become free, like packaging bubbles.

If however you do have a leak, this will force the exhaust to use the leak as the escape route, and you will be able to hear the whistle of the leak as the exhaust passes through it, while your hands have no backpressure on them.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:02 PM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
Quickest way to check for exhaust leaks is to cap off both pipes. Hunch yourself down nice and low and cap both pipes with your hands. The pressure inside the pipes should build exponentially and nearly force your hands off the pipes, creating a pressure "pop" noise when your hands become free, like packaging bubbles.

If however you do have a leak, this will force the exhaust to use the leak as the escape route, and you will be able to hear the whistle of the leak as the exhaust passes through it, while your hands have no backpressure on them.
I guess i'll try this one more time today and if i find nothing then i'm s.o.l. Yesterday i sealed both tailpipes for a good 15-20sec and didn't hear whistling of any kind. I might also end up tearing apart the interior to find any possible places where the smell could come through.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AAX86
Jesus Christ, did you read what i've been writing? The car passed smog literally two months ago. The smell was there when i smogged it. It passed. Yesterday i checked for leaks, did not detect any. In fact, the car gave every indication that there are no leaks. There are no, i repeat, *NO* exhaust leaks.
if you have no exhaust leaks, where are these exhaust fumes magically appearing from?

the fumes are routed from the cylinder out the tailpipe (and maybe an egr loop?). if they end up in your cabin, theres a leak.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:00 PM
stangdanger

do you have full exhaust or are the at the rear axle? If at the axle make sure you have turndowns (pointed to the ground) I know a guy who left them straight and had the same problem.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Considering you passed a smog test Im assuming you have cats and smog pump . Its possible to leak exhaust from a smog pump tube .
NO reason to get all pisssy with pple tryin to help ya. If you have exhaust fumes in the car , plain and simple you have a leak someplace. Passing smog has absolutly nothin to do with a leaking exhaust. Here is a hint though , you say when you really get on it you can smell it bad. High rpm = more exhaust pressure pushing exhaust out the leak. Possibly a faulty smog pump valve, leaking egr, leaking header gasket.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:34 PM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Considering you passed a smog test Im assuming you have cats and smog pump . Its possible to leak exhaust from a smog pump tube .
NO reason to get all pisssy with pple tryin to help ya. If you have exhaust fumes in the car , plain and simple you have a leak someplace. Passing smog has absolutly nothin to do with a leaking exhaust. Here is a hint though , you say when you really get on it you can smell it bad. High rpm = more exhaust pressure pushing exhaust out the leak. Possibly a faulty smog pump valve, leaking egr, leaking header gasket.
Didn't mean to sound pissy, it's just frustrating. I honestly have no clue where the smell is comin' from. I was also thinking maybe the smog pump tube. Also it's a full exhaust out the back. Yesterday i found a pretty big hole in the spare tire compartment that i didn't see before. Sealed it up and it didn't do me any good.

With these more possibilities i'll look into them and report back.