5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

door window glass, track, lock, etc help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:24 PM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

Default door window glass, track, lock, etc help!

1990 mustang. I have restored the entire car and replaced the passenger door with a new (used) stock one which doesnt have anything in it due to the original owner stripping it out and selling me just the door. I have the old door with the glass, window tracks, lock, actuators and wiring. Are there any write ups or anything on how to get all this into my new door? Looks like a huge pain in the butt! any help is very appreciated guys thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

It's really not that big of a deal. I've had all of that out of my DS door before without any big issues. It pretty much only goes in one way.

The biggest problem you're going to have is if the guy removed the power lock solenoid. You'll have to drill the rivet out of your old one and install a new rivet in the new door.

I suggest you take LOTS of pictures of your assembled door so you know how all the wiring and everything is supposed to be routed, then just jump in.

If it's too late for that, here are some links that might help:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...t/viewall.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/pro...s/viewall.html
Old 04-09-2013, 05:09 PM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

very good info thanks that helps alot! Im most worried about the scissor lift part and the window guides now.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Thinking back on it, I'm not positive that I actually pulled the regulator all the way out of my door entirely. I may have just loosened it and the tracks up for adjustment (I know I had the glass out at some point). That said, I can't be positive of the advice below, but you won't hurt you to pay attention anyhow.

Something to look out for on any power window regulator is to see if its SPRING LOADED. Many of them will suddenly unload if you remove the power motor with no glass weight on it... and they are generally very sharp.

The power motor keeps the regulator locked from becoming a finger-slicer-offer. So... If at all possible, don't take the motor off of the regulator unless the glass weight is holding the spring back.

I found another couple of pics that might help you, as well as a picture of what is said to be a used '91 power regulator... You can see the spring on it.

edit: Of course, this is all assuming you have power windows. I have no clue how the manual regulators work, but I don't think I've ever seen one with a spring to worry about. Oh... The tracks are no big deal. Just get everything back in the door and finger tight and then start snugging stuff down while lining everything up until the window works correctly. Just takes some trial and error.
Attached Thumbnails door window glass, track, lock, etc help!-window.gif   door window glass, track, lock, etc help!-windowregulator.jpg   door window glass, track, lock, etc help!-regulator.jpg  

Last edited by Maxwelhse; 04-09-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:17 AM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

excelant! thanks alot!!!