5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help with forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
yep, i installed mine and have been really happy, no more pulled timing on 80 deg days, all the power is there at all times, just like i like it
http://www.americanmuscle.com/snow-p...ce-stage2.html
this is the unit soldier and i are running AM has the best price that i have found, and if you contact the AM sponsor on this forum he will give you a code to get another 6% off of any order, i also mix my own water meth, i simply buy a 5 gal pail of methanol form a local oil supply company for $34 and mix it 50/50 with distilled water, so 10 gallons of boost juice costs $34 easy peasy

here is a link to a little write up on my install
https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipe...r-install.html
Sweet I'll have to look at that stuff after I reply lol how do I get ahold of a rep? And how long does a 1 gallon container of the meth mix last if driven daily And can you control when it is injecting? Later down the road if I were to install a nitrous kit would it be compatible?
Old 11-18-2015, 10:45 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the controller is adjustable and will have to be adjusted to your application,its adjusted on the controller unit. the amount of water meth consumed is dependent of how much time you spend under hard acceleration, kinda like fuel consumption, with me i use about 1 gallon per tank while using it as my daily driver. on the weekends when i flog on it it uses more. not sure about the nitrious angle, i think to have both forced induction and nitrious you will prob have to build the engine up or risk blowing it up. here is a link to the AM rep on this forum, send him a pm asking for the code
https://mustangforums.com/forum/priv...newpm&u=201059
Old 11-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=jwog666;8518083]yep, i installed mine and have been really happy, no more pulled timing on 80 deg days, all the power is there at all times, just like i like it
http://www.americanmuscle.com/snow-p...ce-stage2.html
this is the unit soldier and i are running AM has the best price that i have found, and if you contact the AM sponsor on this forum he will give you a code to get another 6% off of any order, i also mix my own water meth, i simply buy a 5 gal pail of methanol form a local oil supply company for $34 and mix it 50/50 with distilled water, so 10 gallons of boost juice costs $34 easy peasy

here is a link to a little write up on my install
https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipe...r-install.html[/QUOTE
Love your install its out of the way least amount of clutter very nice job love your car btw lol
Old 11-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

the controller is adjustable and will have to be adjusted to your application,its adjusted on the controller unit. the amount of water meth consumed is dependent of how much time you spend under hard acceleration, kinda like fuel consumption, with me i use about 1 gallon per tank while using it as my daily driver. on the weekends when i flog on it it uses more. not sure about the nitrious angle, i think to have both forced induction and nitrious you will prob have to build the engine up or risk blowing it up. here is a link to the AM rep on this forum, send him a pm asking for the code
That's not to bad then and the nitrous wouldn't be for a long time till after it's huilt
Old 11-18-2015, 10:52 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

thanks, any questions feel free to ask.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:54 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

That's not to bad then so you can control how much it injects by the jet? Or is there some kind of adjuster thing? and the nitrous wouldn't be for a long time till after it's built I'm just thinkin down the road
Old 11-18-2015, 11:01 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

they provide 3 nozzles in the kit, small, medium, and large, you select the nozzle based on your estimated hp, then you set the start injection point and the point at which the injection is at 100% by adjusting the module. the module on this kit taps into the signal wire of the MAF sensor, so it injects based on the airflow entering the engine. the kit includes a pretty good set of instructions on how to dial it in, plan on spending a few hours tuning the kit as you make adjustment in small increments. once its set, you dont have to touch it again. the only thing i recommend is to add a on off switch so you can shut off the system on cold days, 60 deg or less. you wont need it on those days, and it will actually cause the engine to miss when the ambient temp is that cold as there is not enough hat generated to cause the waste/meth mix to flash evaporate.

Last edited by jwog666; 11-18-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

they provide 3 nozzles in the kit, small, medium, and large, you select the nozzle based on your estimated hp, then you set the start injection point and the point at which the injection is at 100% by adjusting the module. the module on this kit taps into the signal wire of the MAF sensor, so it injects based on the airflow entering the engine. the kit includes a pretty good set of instructions on how to dial it in, plan on spending a few hours tuning the kit as you make adjustment in small increments. once its set, you dont have to touch it again. the only thing i recommend is to add a on off switch so you can shut off the system on cold days, 60 deg or less. you wont need it on those days, and it will actually cause the engine to miss when the ambient temp is that cold as there is not enough hat generated to cause the waste/meth mix to flash evaporate.
Sounds like a fairly easy install then an thatd make sense I guess if Ya think about it so say you don't get you mixture right what could happen like if you had to much water or to much methanol?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:22 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the optimal mix is 50/50, you can also run pure water, but you will not see the same IAT drops as with 50/50. they do not recommend running more than 50% methanol because above 50% the mix itself becomes combustible and could in theory pose a fire hazzard (methanol flames are invisible), and the IAT drops do not increase with more than 50% meth in the mix. so cost wise, fire wise and optimal IAT temp drop wise 50/50 is the best. i use a paint measuring cup (available at any parts store that sells automotive paint) to measure, 64oz water/64oz meth and then fill old windshield wash bottles with the mix.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:24 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

thanks, any questions feel free to ask.
When you installed your charger did you remove EGR too? I'm asking cuz my smog pump went out and I bought a belt to bypass it but now how do I go about removing the EGR without throwing codes? (I live in no emissions state) I don't really want to replace the smog pump as on my 95 f250 I've replaced like 4 of them in the 6 years that I've had it and at 100-130$ whatever they cost id rather put that money towards performance stuff lol

Quick Reply: Help with forced induction