5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Resurrecting the dead...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 10:22 PM
bigdaddy408
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Resurrecting the dead...

can you define asshat?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:23 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Umm...simple You....
Old 12-16-2005, 02:55 AM
chord509
1st Gear Member

ummmm... ok? Anyone else have any USEFUL, PRACTICAL, and ACCURATE input?

I'd like to go EFI because of throttle response and ease of configuration. The last time it ran, it had a Holley 650 double pumper. It screamed in its own right... ate up plenty of Camaro's, Corvettes, and even a few other ponies (most of those had no clue how to drive!).

I just like the idea of being able to set all of the engine configurations through a computer rather than twisting the distributor and turning the fee screws on the carb, guessing that I'm even getting it close to where it should be.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Nemesis

Hey chord,

Not sure but if this EFI system is programmable it would seem to suit your increased displacement needs, particularly if you can change the injectors themselves. Modding the intake system might be needed to increase volume as well but should be doable.

Good luck with the project.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:33 PM
chord509
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nemesis

Hey chord,

Not sure but if this EFI system is programmable it would seem to suit your increased displacement needs, particularly if you can change the injectors themselves. Modding the intake system might be needed to increase volume as well but should be doable.

Good luck with the project.
The EFI I'm looking into getting would be from an 89-93 Mustang GT. If I've read everything correctly the intake, heads, cams, headers, and accessories should bolt right on to the 351 from the 302. I have no experience with EFI. I'm going to see if I can find out which ECU's were used on the 351's and see if any cross reference with the 302 ECU's.

Ideally, I'd like to find the GT-40 heads and intakes from an Explorer and take a complete EFI from a late model Fox Mustang. On paper, it looks good and I haven't seen anything that says it won't work.

I'll build the block up with forged internals and prep it for turbochargers. After that, I'll build up the suspension and chassis and tackle the interior after that. Lastly, I'll see about scavenging some turbos from a turbo t-bird or cougar and piece together a twin turbo setup. My goal is to have an aggressive daily driver that does well at the track (low-mid 12's would be nice!).

EDIT: Didn't take a whole lot of digging. Read on:
We were getting ready to do this while trying to put a 351C in my son's 93 Lightning. We decided against the swap but not because of the fuel injection issue. Thers is a company in Indiana making adapter plates that will allow the use of 302w intake manifolds on a 351C. The name is Price Motorsports, and this allows you to use a stock 5.0 Mustang fuel injection computer and sensors instead of trying to make an aftermarket unit work. The fuel injection doesn't know what engine it's attached to, it just measures air flow and adds gas.
So the answer to my original question, it seems, is that the 5.0 ECU will handle the 351W just fine. It simply measures air and fuel needs and delivers.

Unless someone has other information, I'm going to consider this solved.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:32 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I don't know much about doing a carb to efi swap but you won't be able to use a 302 intake manifold on a 351. The 351's intake is wider then the 302s but everything else should swap over.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:38 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I would just stay carb..alot less headache.....and cheaper....
Old 12-18-2005, 11:52 AM
chord509
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfast

I would just stay carb..alot less headache.....and cheaper....
Yeah, you raise a valid point. However, it would be a lot less of a headache and cheaper to just buy a used Mustang. That wouldn't put my Mustang back on the road the way I really want to. I'm not looking for the easy or the cheap way out. In fact, I've assisted in rebuilding an engine once and some of the work I'm talking about doing I've only seen on the internet. So, I'm not fooling myself into thinking that it's going to be quick or easy. It will probably take me several years to do it right. Money pit? maybe... probably, but if it works I'll have a car that I can be proud of and enjoy.

[hr]
Goal:
[ul][*] Full resto of my 1985 GT w/T-tops[*] Rebuilt (possibly stroked) 351W with forged internals[*] Complete EFI swap[*] Twin turbo setup[*] Full chassis and suspension upgrade for street/strip application[*] Rear disc brake conversion[*] To do all of this using as many junkyard pieces as possible without compromising safety
[/ul]