5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New Here... **Updated W/Pics**

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:07 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New Here...

ORIGINAL: Texas5.0

Welcome - The motto of this place is "no pics equal no truth." I'm not that way though, I believe everything I read on the internet.[sm=alcoholic.gif]
for some reason i thought that was the funniest thing ive ever read.
lol
Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 PM
project86

ORIGINAL: mjr46

looks like you got alot of work ahead of you
Oh believe me I know....everytime I take more stuff out I just shake my head at all the stuff that was rigged up over the years....oh well...wouldnt be fun if it was easy...

Just added a couple more pics to the album too of ongoing floor repairs....picture 83 is going to be the toughest
Old 12-19-2007, 09:53 PM
86_GT_Mustang
5th Gear Member

changing the front back?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:04 AM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

Well im glad you got one again.. Its a good project car. Id rather buy a project car than one already built up.. Cause at the end of the day when you finish your car you can say i did this. And you will be much much happier..
Old 12-20-2007, 06:47 AM
project86

ORIGINAL: 86_GT_Mustang

changing the front back?
Most likely I wont....As much as I would like to at the end of the day it really wouldnt be worth all the time and money....and I like the 87-93 body style just as much as the 86....I am just happy the interior is stock 86 because I like that much better than the 87 up
Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

I see so many of these, "I'm gonna restore it" threads started and most of them never get past the tear down phase. I hope this one goes all the way.

I noticed you are spraying bed liner in the rear hatch area... but you are doing it over the "tar paper" mat... I can tell you from experience ALL that stuff should've been removed. It's covering all kinds of cancer that you won't know about until you have the car up on a lift some day and see big rust holes coming through. Don't cut corners or you'll be sorry.

Another area you need to address is behind and below the gas filler neck and box... on both sides at the bottom of the 1/4 panels behind the rear wheels. Shine a flashlight down in there and take a look... it won't be pretty.

Also, thepockets below the 1/4 glass near the floor is a known rust area.

Bed liner looks good, but isn't the best rust stopper paint to be using... something like "Chassis Saver" would be better. It STOPS rust in it's tracks by sealing out oxygen... take away the O2 and rust can't grow.

Old seam sealer is always hiding rust... dig it out and you'll find more rust to take care of... then paint some Chassis Saver over it and apply new sealer.

Just some helpful advice to give you a longer lasting restoration.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:38 AM
project86

ORIGINAL: capri debris

I see so many of these, "I'm gonna restore it" threads started and most of them never get past the tear down phase. I hope this one goes all the way.

I noticed you are spraying bed liner in the rear hatch area... but you are doing it over the "tar paper" mat... I can tell you from experience ALL that stuff should've been removed. It's covering all kinds of cancer that you won't know about until you have the car up on a lift some day and see big rust holes coming through. Don't cut corners or you'll be sorry.

Another area you need to address is behind and below the gas filler neck and box... on both sides at the bottom of the 1/4 panels behind the rear wheels. Shine a flashlight down in there and take a look... it won't be pretty.

Also, thepockets below the 1/4 glass near the floor is a known rust area.

Bed liner looks good, but isn't the best rust stopper paint to be using... something like "Chassis Saver" would be better. It STOPS rust in it's tracks by sealing out oxygen... take away the O2 and rust can't grow.

Old seam sealer is always hiding rust... dig it out and you'll find more rust to take care of... then paint some Chassis Saver over it and apply new sealer.

Just some helpful advice to give you a longer lasting restoration.

Thanks for the tips I will make sure I double check those problem areas you mentioned....To answer a couple of your questions....Yes every area had the rubber mat scraped off....used a wire wheel to remove paint and any surface rust....I then sprayed the entire area with a rust sealing/inhibiting paint...after that cured I coated with what you see in the pictures. It is actually spray on rubberized sound deadner...not spray bedliner...I was originally going to use the spray on bedliner but spent the extra money on this stuff....I like it alot....after it dries it doesnt get rock hard like the bedliner...I plan on coating the rest of the floor in this also but am waiting to do the rear seat areas till after I install the torque box reinforcements.....