5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

superchrging questions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:26 AM
nateCR
1st Gear Member

Default superchrging questions....

i have a 90 mustnag gt with a 5 spped all stock but shorties and good mufflers... i want to do something like a vortech s-trim i have lots of know how.. but im wondering what the best thing to use for igntion and ECU set ups i dont know what kit to get or what my motor will take.. the 5-6 psi or the 8-10psi kit from vortech i'd rather go with the 8 if possible???? what are guys doing to tune their ecu??????????????????? and their igntiton???????????? what injectors should i run???? what intake i was gonna just run a cobra intake...??? what mass air????? willl the motor hold 10 psi forsometime (year) untill i can build something a little more stout???

thanks
Old 12-23-2007, 06:19 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: superchrging questions....

ORIGINAL: nateCR

i have a 90 mustnag gt with a 5 spped all stock but shorties and good mufflers... i want to do something like a vortech s-trim i have lots of know how.. but im wondering what the best thing to use for igntion and ECU set ups i dont know what kit to get or what my motor will take.. the 5-6 psi or the 8-10psi kit from vortech i'd rather go with the 8 if possible???? what are guys doing to tune their ecu??????????????????? and their igntiton???????????? what injectors should i run???? what intake i was gonna just run a cobra intake...??? what mass air????? willl the motor hold 10 psi forsometime (year) untill i can build something a little more stout???

thanks
Go w/ the higher boost, it will hold. There have been a couple of threads w/i the last couple days about this. I would go w/ an MSD ignition set up and possibly a timing retard module as well. Upgrade to 30# injectors and go w/ a p-mas blow-thru mass air meter. If you go any higher in injectors, you'll need a custom tune for the computer. Adjustable fuel pressure regulator is a must also. As far as an intake, I would go w/ a box style upper intake. You can get one from Jegs that will bolt right onto your stock lower. You should be able to get away w/ a dyno tune w/ adjusting fuel and timing only. The tune is the most important thing, that's how you'll know if your car is safe to run all out.

Here's a couple threads you should read

https://mustangforums.com/m_4365203/tm.htm

https://mustangforums.com/m_4361190/tm.htm
Old 12-23-2007, 11:06 PM
nateCR
1st Gear Member

is there any realitvily cheap piggy back systems for the mustangs? what would a dyno tune do for the set up? what is the best way to tune.. and is there any way of doing it at home? i klnow more about GM systems this is my second mustang my first was a 86 lx with a 3.8 this is my first ford 5.0 so i need a little guidling

Old 12-24-2007, 12:24 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: nateCR

is there any realitvily cheap piggy back systems for the mustangs? what would a dyno tune do for the set up? what is the best way to tune.. and is there any way of doing it at home? i klnow more about GM systems this is my second mustang my first was a 86 lx with a 3.8 this is my first ford 5.0 so i need a little guidling

piggy back systems??? there are burn a chip tunes and or stand alone tuners for these cars and hacing a good tune on a supercharged car is imperitive so you don't run to lean and detonate and destroy the motor.......if you just bolt it all together at home and never get a base line tune..it could be like playing russian rulet.......on the dyno it'll tell you right away if the a/f mixture is okay and if the fuel system and injectors are adequate......so shot gunning a tune on a supercharged car may cost you more in the long run .....