5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

got my key stuck in my door. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:00 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: got my key stuck in my door. HELP!

Thats not ghetto, thats the real mans set of keys for the fox body, you would not understand.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:43 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

got the lock cylinder out cause it was too cold to try and monkey with the key.
gonna have to take it to a locksmith tomorrow cause i cant get it.
does anybody know if ford sells that plastic piece on the end of the cylinder that the lock/unlock bar thing clips too?
cause i broke that taking it off and hopefully i can get one.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:27 PM
quiksilvrstang
1st Gear Member

I believe you would have been better off just calling the locksmith because from what I see your still going to have to use one and out more to replace the part you broke. Just my opinion and not trying to be a smartazz but sometimes trying to save a few dollars will cost you more in the longrun.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:09 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

well it was a saturday night no locksmith would of been open.
so the price woulda been sent right up. but yeah im thinking you are right.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you don't have to take it to a lock smith!!...spray some wd 40 down in there and with a set of picks pop it out slowly..I've done that a few times on other cars
Old 01-20-2008, 07:06 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

If you can get a magnet to stick to brass you are a fawkin magician. Keys are brass, magnet no sticky!

For removing broken keys I use a small pics, very thin needle nose pliers, and a jig saw blade that I thinned down. The key (no pun intended) to removing the broken key is you have to have the lock cylinder centered or it will never come out.
I first try the saw blade, push it into the lock cylinder next to the key, grab it with pliers and twist and pull out. This usually pops the key out.
Since you have the cylinder out, make sure you have it centered where the key would push in and out. Tap the cylinder against the work bench to dislodge the key then pull out with pliers.
Now if that don't work try working the key with the pics or small needle nose pliers.
Still no luck there should be a stainless cover on the side of the lock cylinder. Do this in a well lit clean area, there are small springs and pins, pop the cover off and remove the pins and springs. This should free up the lock cylinder because this is what is jamming it up. Remove the broken key. Insert the new key into the lock cylinder and put the pins back in, they will sit level when aligned correctly, put the springs back in and the cover back on. Make sure the lock cylinder turns and put it back in.

I use a lock lubricant called (Lock Ease) that contains graphite, it keeps lock cylinders working smoothly.

If this sounds like to much trouble take it to a Lock Smith, $25.-$50. is about what you should have to pay for them to do it.........454