5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

an oil question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:59 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
you should of seen the chevy malibu I did an intake gasket on last week....talk about sludge in the motor, the filter was plugged up and when i LET THE DRAIN PLUG go, it looked like diareaha coming out and there was so much sludge you couldn't even see the tops of the lifters, funny thing was the kid said he was doing frequent oil changes, I asked him where and he said WAL-MART ....LOL GOTTA LOVE THE 14.95 LOF they sell
haha i did an oil change on a 3.0 ohv Taurus and it was so sludged up that in 10k miles the oil filter had maybe a couple drops of oil in it. it was still just as light as a brand new filter. the sludge blocked off the filter passageway and was just going through the filter bypass
Old 01-22-2009, 09:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by HACKGT350
haha i did an oil change on a 3.0 ohv Taurus and it was so sludged up that in 10k miles the oil filter had maybe a couple drops of oil in it. it was still just as light as a brand new filter. the sludge blocked off the filter passageway and was just going through the filter bypass
lol....that's what exactly was going on with the malibu...in fact we told him to take the car for the weekend and come back for an oil change again 3 days later to make sure most of the crap was out.....fortunately the oil change this time around looked alot better
Old 01-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Chuckles_5.0
2nd Gear Member

wow...

so basicly the whole "synthetic oil will cause your car to leak" should be "If synthetic oil causes your car to leak, then you needed to fix your car." lol.

I knew synthetic made better hp, I've read to many articles on that one to think otherwise.

As for the marketing gimmick, your telling me, the freaking conventional high mileage stuff costs more than the synthetic stuff...

Synthetic oil it is.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

one of the main reasons I run synthetic oil is due to the detergent and additive packages you can go longer between oil changes with out the ill effects of them breaking down and sludging up the motor, I have run amsoil in my wifes D\D since day 1 and it now has 180k on it , yeah so the cost of my oil change is 2 to 1 using synthetic vs conventional but I also go 7500 miles between changes where as if you followed the regimine of 3000 mile oil changes with conventional then the cost is no different cause in the 1 oil change of synthetic you'd have the cost of 2 conventional changes.......so in the end it all balances out and as far as I can tell the upper half of my wifes camary is spotless!!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

i went almost 200k miles with conventional in my stang lol. i did how ever take the valve covers off shortly before it died to take a look at stuff and it looked like it was starting to sludge up and i was doing oil changes every 2000 miles
Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
one of the main reasons I run synthetic oil is due to the detergent and additive packages you can go longer between oil changes with out the ill effects of them breaking down and sludging up the motor, I have run amsoil in my wifes D\D since day 1 and it now has 180k on it , yeah so the cost of my oil change is 2 to 1 using synthetic vs conventional but I also go 7500 miles between changes where as if you followed the regimine of 3000 mile oil changes with conventional then the cost is no different cause in the 1 oil change of synthetic you'd have the cost of 2 conventional changes.......so in the end it all balances out and as far as I can tell the upper half of my wifes camary is spotless!!
My dad ran amsoil and their filter in my moms car when he put a rebulit engine in it. Years later he changed the valve cover gaskets on it and the valve covers where packed completely full of sludge.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

some cars just suck that way. like toyota they had a tsb out for replacing engines that had failed due to sludging while maintaining the normal oil change intervals. some areas of the engines were getting so hot they would kill the oil and make it sludge up and the engine would blow.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:13 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FORD TOUGH
My dad ran amsoil and their filter in my moms car when he put a rebulit engine in it. Years later he changed the valve cover gaskets on it and the valve covers where packed completely full of sludge.
weird my 2000 v6 mustang has 246,000 miles on it I used mobil1 for about 2-3 of the first oil changes then switched to amsoil oil and filters, the engine still looks brand new and I change the oil every 20,000 miles
yes I said twenty thousand the oil I buy is good for 25000 but 20,000 is easier to keep track of.
check out the delivery guy who went 1 million miles on his van motor and trans, changing the oil every 25k and trans fluid every 150k
www.shadyninja.com/host/million-mile-van.pdf
Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HACKGT350
some cars just suck that way. like toyota they had a tsb out for replacing engines that had failed due to sludging while maintaining the normal oil change intervals. some areas of the engines were getting so hot they would kill the oil and make it sludge up and the engine would blow.
This was a 302 lol.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Ive always run conventional Castrol GTX high mileage in my car... didnt car much for the synthetic stuff....

anyone know a good brand... a few extra ponys never hurt anyone...

Quick Reply: an oil question