5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Put Kenne Bell on today and not totally happy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Talking Put Kenne Bell on today and not totally happy until now

It sounds cool and added some good torque. The bad part is on 6 degrees initial timing I can still hear some ping when the motor gets around 200 degrees while easing on it in 4th or 5th gear. (It sounds like a car with 87 octane it when the valves rattle.) Hammering on it the car runs fine. The car does have a 160 thermostat and it does not matter when I start boosting. I am only running 6 lbs of boost but, I still think it is leaning out with the fmu to get that warn that fast. Granted that blower does get hot and put some heat in the motor. Also it has a miss around 90 mph in 4th gear. The check engine will flash and then it will pull fine to 5000. (I let out after that) I am adding a coil and ignition tomorrow. Maybe that will help something. If you guys and girls got any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 04-16-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you have excessive carbon build up in the chambers previously, that'll amplify the detonation now that it has boost, seafoam treatment would alliviate that if it were a cause, also without knowing all your other mods, it's hard to guess whether the inj are capable of a modded engine + boost, but if you are realatively stock the inj shouldn't have to much an issue with only 6 lbs, also a 180 stat is optimum without going into reasons but a larger capacity radiator may also be needed to cool the beast
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I will try the sea foam tomorrow. The car is stock as can be besides the ignition stuff I am adding. I am probably going to add a radiator next. The car had cooling issues during the summer. . . It does have a dead miss in 4th gear when getting on it. It is like the car cuts completely off and kicks back in. Boy does go through the gears fast before it hits 4th though.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 04-05-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:54 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

oh and your right about the carbon build up. I ran 87 octane for about a year before adding it. It has had three tanks of premium.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:22 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Did you have the car dyno tuned or did you just bolt it on and go out and beat on the car?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:29 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

fmu and it did it the first time into boost. But only while in 4th or 5th gear and easing on the gas. I am not hearing detonation when it cuts out. I forgot to mention that I added a fuel pump and filter a month before doing this.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 04-05-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:33 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I'd highly suggest you get the car professionally tuned before you nuke something.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:43 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I hate to do that but, I may have to. I was going to wait until the summer and get it tuned with meth when the funds were a lttle better. . . I honestly believe that it has to do with ethanol in gas. There is no reason that this shouldn't work when they sold them like this for years recommending these things. And I am running 6 degrees initial timing.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

He shouldn't need to get a costly professional tune for 6lbs of boost. The stock computer can learn what it needs to easily from that. The only thing he's missing is a bit of power, he's not gonna nuke anything.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:09 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
He shouldn't need to get a costly professional tune for 6lbs of boost. The stock computer can learn what it needs to easily from that. The only thing he's missing is a bit of power, he's not gonna nuke anything.
Not trying to be jerk and contradict what you're saying, because with only 6lbs, he should be able to get by without a tune. But it sounds like he's getting detonation and suffering a leaning out condition... a bad combination that could easily damage things in short order. The OP said he replaced the fuel pump, but didn't say what size he put in. Getting rid of some of the carbon by using seafoam will help, but it sounds like he may still have to take some more timing out and find out if the fuel system is not keeping up. A good dyno tune will tell all... he really should get one IMO.

Quick Reply: Put Kenne Bell on today and not totally happy.