5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I paid 3000 for mine with with 100k miles
Clean carfax and 444 made

I think you can find a better deal

On the good side, it is a mass air car with forged pistons

Last edited by TrimDrip; 05-05-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Way too much $$$ IMO...keep looking!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:14 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fox23
i know! but i currently dont have a job.. This sucks lol. I got so excited about this car and everyone says dont buy it.

i was hoping for a good deal. clearly it isnt?

Even for 1500!!$$ i called a mustang scrap yard near me and they can give me replacement hood, spolier and fender for 350$!!

What do you guys think?
skip it then, find a job first, these cars are MONEY PITS, expect to spend another 1,000 more just to get it running right
Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

OP, we can tell you're really eager to get into a Mustang. That car needs more than just a hood, fender and headlight. The body looks rough from every angle and would end up costing you more down the road just at the expense of getting into something NOW. Find a job, bank six weeks pay and get into something like the white hatch I linked to. You may be able to go ahead as planned with your body repairs on the one you're interested in but it will look like a multicoloured jigsaw puzzle heap on wheels. Save a little dough, exercise patience and find something worth owning. I wouldn't pay $500 for that GT, but that's just me...
Old 05-05-2009, 02:27 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Alright first of all you are in Ontario. Put the car on a ramp and look for rust!! I can't stress that enough. It is one thing you can never completely get rid of. I bought my car that was originally from Ontario and the body looked fine but underneath was rusted to ****.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:02 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Don't buy it. You'd just be getting yourself in over your head. Paying for a big headache that's obviously had a rough life.. So alright you have 1500$, you buy it.. don't have the 350$ for the used body parts, don't have the money to pay the taxes on the car, nor the registration nor the insurance. That definitely wouldn't come near to passing inspection around these parts.. and after all you'd be stuck in a ugly sh!tbox and look ridiculous when you pull out of school and it breaks down right at the exit... Do yourself a favor. Wait,get a job and start saving your money.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Fox23
2nd Gear Member

you make a good point cch. Unforunatly .. i dont have the money for the parts.. i dont have a job so yeah the car would sit in my garage for a few weeks while i work and stuff..

im just getting impaitent because i just sold my first car ( broken messed up 1992 honda prelude for 1500 when i only paid 1000 for it.) and not im without a car. Im in love with these 5.0L 5 speed mustangs. My ****ty lawn mower prelude was only 135 HP and automatic. Going to a 5.0 is gonna be amazing.

I just want a project car/daily driver that i can learn more about cars and enjoy. You know?

But everyone is saying stay away from it.. get more money.. the thing is i dont want to buy a car that is already perfect. I want to work on it. i wanna mod it. and change it around.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:01 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

yeah but, it is a lot easier to put a transmission in a car than it is to replace body parts.
Usually if a car looks really bad, it was drove that way too.

Honestly, if it was me, the only reason I would buy would be for the parts. White is a hard color to match. It is most likely that you won't be able to match the new fender with the 19 year old paint on the car. It will look bad too. My car has a door on it that got painted white to match the rest of the car and it doesn't. Someone riding by may not notice it but, I can tell.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Fox23
2nd Gear Member

yeah thats another really good point.. i should probably wait and find a better deal or save some money and get something without body damage..
Old 05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Listen bro, I know it's hard, we all do cause we've all been there. You know what you want you just don't have the means to get it. You gotta take it in steps. Every single person on this forum is taking steps. Some are further along and are progressing quicker then others, that's just how life is. But you gotta work for it! I bought my car three years ago back when I was 17, in an appt, working three jobs and trying to finish gr. 12.

Moral of the story... for every second of pleasure there's a minute of pain!

Took me an extra job and 8000$ but I bought the car I wanted; absolutely mint '92 5.0l lx notchback. Three years later I still own the car and have spent another 22 000$ on it. I've literally replaced every bolt/bushing/etc. you name it! No, I don't have the nicest car on here nor the quickest and I never will, because priorities come first; but I've been able to set reasonable goals for myself and so far I've been able to meet them.

Moral of the story... It's an expensive hobby!

Let's face it.. No one really wants to drive a piece of ****, everyone would love to have the nicest looking and fastest car, but it takes a lot of money. So IMO, work hard, make plans, do research and LEARN (can't tell you the hundreds of allnighters I've pulled). That way when you have the money, you can go out and buy a good condition car, instead of wasting all your time and effort on a restoration that'll never produce a car to the "mint and babied" quality of an original.

Good luck buddy, keep your chin up.

and sorry for the rant, just one of those days...

Quick Reply: Good Deal?