5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

5.0 with vortech upgraded intake now runs awful!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
totalcustoms

Angry 5.0 with vortech upgraded intake now runs awful!!

Ok, this is the short version of my problem and I hopefully someones seen this problem before. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ok, its a 5.0 with 60,000 original miles and the car ran great up until I decided to make it run better(i know). I installed a new vortech supercharger,anderson power pipe, headers, and the car ran great, but I decided that I needed to go have a tune done to be safe. I was still running a stock intake and knew that I would want to change that really soon along with the injectors, so I went ahead and picked up a set of 30lb injectors,C&L mass air calabrated for the injectors and a edlebrock performer RPM2 intake. I installed the parts (intake,inj, mass air) and then started the car up and it ran worse than ever!! It Idles extremely ruff and it seems to rev fairly well, but when you try to hold it a steady rpm its just ruff as hell? I of course checked for vaccum leaks,timing,checked mass air, I went through everything that I could possibly do to fix the damn thing and nothing worked. I asked a friend that owns a performance shop and he reccomended reinstall factory injector, mass air, and the FMU and then see where I stood. Well after all that the car still runs exactly the same as it did with the new parts!! Remember the car was running great with the stock inj and mass air, so the only difference now is the intake?? Me and a friend that is a hell of a performance guru spent hrs on this thing today and cannot get it acting right still. I got to that point where I just needed to walk away before I took out 45 and just blew holes in the damn thing! So, with all that said I hope someone can atleast steer me in the right direction or better yet tell me what the problem is!haha. Thanks in advance for atleast reading through my problem and any input would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I want to add that this isnt a car that Im gonna take to the track this is just a daily driver style street car, so I still want to run an fmu and keep it really streetable and easy to drive(my fiance drives this one more than me and I have a track car). Jake

Last edited by totalcustoms; 07-26-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:56 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

You checked the Mass air. Make sure it is clocked correctly. It looks like you will need a new tune. But, I cannot see an intake manifold messing up everything. it could also be the distributor. Make sure your timing is spot on because that will cause a butt-load of problems. I would take it out and restab it, just for extra measure.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:31 PM
totalcustoms

I have actually tried multiple mass air meters in the vehicle with the correct tubes and no difference? I have made sure that the timing is spot on also. I hit it with the light and its dead on 10*. I dont guess its possible to get it 1 tooth off and and its still read with the gun at 10* is it?? Its just not making any since at all to me. This isnt my first rodeo and its kicking my a$$!! I will take a look at it tomorow and see if its a tooth off, maybe thats it and i've just been so damn agrivated that I overlooked it. But, being that it reads 10* wouldnt it be right?? Thanks for the input, if anyone else has an idea or something to help me troubleshoot this thing I would greatly appreciate it. Jake
Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

just to rule it out, you are timing the motor with the spout disconnected right? if not, a reading of 10* would actually mean your base timing was -2*. sounds simple but its easily over looked by some one who is fustrated.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:59 AM
totalcustoms

I appreciate the input. I definatly made sure that the spout was out, but yes I have done that before when I was aggrivated. If I have the distributor off by 1 tooth there is it possible for it to read correctly?