5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

best single turbo for a stock maf motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:36 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I would look into a Master Power t70 they are priced right and last. It will give you room to grow and can make enough HP to split a stock block if you turn it up. I have seen a few guys in the 9s with them with the right set ups.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:26 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
First, I doubt Luckythirteen is over 700 horsepower. My guess would be mid 500's @ the wheel. Second, he is know longer SD' he is converted to MAF or at least a blow through MAF. His AOD is modified to withstand decent power. He is not running an FMU. As for forged pistons, 87-92 came with forged pistons. In 93 Ford switched to hyperutectic pistons. As for your internals, the stock 5.0 internals are actually really nice. The main restriction is the block. At 500rwhp is all I would do with the stock block. My car puts out 15psi through stock internals with hyper pistons. You can use the stock computer, but it would be wise to either get a tune or piggy back and tuner such as TweEcer, PMS or Quarterhorse. My PVC is routed from the rear of the intake manifold into two catch-cans and back into the valve cover. It works well. I hope this gives you some clarification.
close but not quite. as it sits now, id say its making 450-475rwhp. its running pig rich under wot and im only running 7-8psi. the goal is to save some money for dyno time and then crank the boost. this motor will do 600rwhp easily! going off of the hp that people are seeing with a weaker fuel system then mine, i think i can get 700rwhp out of my setup. but thats with the injectors at 90% duty cycle and 55psi+ of fuel pressure. base fuel pressure is set to 41psi now and my regulator adds 1psi for each pound of boost i make. i plan to run at least 15psi but if the injectors can support 20psi then im going for it. i have a boss block and forged internals so no reason the motor cant support that. ive seen my turbos make 800rwhp but with a better fuel setup.

86GT 93LX, there is no chance in hell a t5 will last behind my motor once i crank the boost up. if you have a t5 now, it should hold up to the same hp the block will hold as long as you treat it right. im not running an fmu but the aeromotive regulator does a similar job as an fmu by adding fuel pressure as boost is made. i have an maf motor, its a 92, came that way. the maf is just barely noticable in my sig, all the way to the left, inside the fender next to the turbo

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 08-09-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:23 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
First, I doubt Luckythirteen is over 700 horsepower. My guess would be mid 500's @ the wheel. Second, he is know longer SD' he is converted to MAF or at least a blow through MAF. His AOD is modified to withstand decent power. He is not running an FMU. As for forged pistons, 87-92 came with forged pistons. In 93 Ford switched to hyperutectic pistons. As for your internals, the stock 5.0 internals are actually really nice. The main restriction is the block. At 500rwhp is all I would do with the stock block. My car puts out 15psi through stock internals with hyper pistons. You can use the stock computer, but it would be wise to either get a tune or piggy back and tuner such as TweEcer, PMS or Quarterhorse. My PVC is routed from the rear of the intake manifold into two catch-cans and back into the valve cover. It works well. I hope this gives you some clarification.
right, ive heard tha s/c are much easier to use,nut its not the route i want to go really but it would be alot simpler not having to mess with exhaust.do you have to run a bov to keep from blowing into the mani when the tb is closed?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:26 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

this is a pretty informative read, with good pics. i found it a while ago.

http://www.junkyardturbos.com/junkya...argerGuide.pdf
Old 08-09-2009, 01:38 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
close but not quite. as it sits now, id say its making 450-475rwhp. its running pig rich under wot and im only running 7-8psi. the goal is to save some money for dyno time and then crank the boost. this motor will do 600rwhp easily! going off of the hp that people are seeing with a weaker fuel system then mine, i think i can get 700rwhp out of my setup. but thats with the injectors at 90% duty cycle and 55psi+ of fuel pressure. base fuel pressure is set to 41psi now and my regulator adds 1psi for each pound of boost i make. i plan to run at least 15psi but if the injectors can support 20psi then im going for it. i have a boss block and forged internals so no reason the motor cant support that. ive seen my turbos make 800rwhp but with a better fuel setup.

86GT 93LX, there is no chance in hell a t5 will last behind my motor once i crank the boost up. if you have a t5 now, it should hold up to the same hp the block will hold as long as you treat it right. im not running an fmu but the aeromotive regulator does a similar job as an fmu by adding fuel pressure as boost is made. i have an maf motor, its a 92, came that way. the maf is just barely noticable in my sig, all the way to the left, inside the fender next to the turbo
i running a 89 4banger t5 with the ranger pilot bearing to make it work. it wont hold up im sure. ill probably kill it eventually just with my current set up.i suspect im around 250hp right now.boost that and bang there goes second gear all over again like deja vu.i wish i hadnt sold my c4
i know a guy making 700hp with a accord with a h22 prelude motor built but running i believe a t3 or t4. thing i lie about his car is it doesnt sound ricey and it looks like a stock 90s accord.he cant keep a tranny in one peice so he keeps building them, straight cut gears. so i was thinking about the g force t5 conversion, it goes to straight cut gears and says it will hold up to 600ftlbs of torque.i have a few extra t5s in differant states of disarray that it might be a viable option.
exactly what turbos are you using?
ill look up the master turbos
Old 08-09-2009, 04:28 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Ahhh..... You know what lucky, I completely forgot that you were a 331. I kept thinking you were a 302 even though you already said you were a 331 a while back. All I know is once you get everything dialed in, you should have one sick ride. Although I wonder how that "modified" AOD will hold up And 86GT, I meant to use my 15psi as a reference to show how much boost a stock internal car can withstand. And ignore my weak numbers on the dyno that's in my sig. I went as a last minute thing. My car had a driver side blown(really bad too) header gasket and caused the motor to go extremely lean. Plus I was using POS spark plugs. There's about 40+ horsepower I left on the table. And the turbo will usually make more power than a supercharger. But again, a sc is not a bad route to go. Most H/C/I cars with a 5 speed and a centri blower will put close to 500rwhp up. So they are pretty capable. And in SC cars, most of the time you will use a bypass valve versus blow-off valve.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:59 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

im running two 57mm t3/t4 hybrids
Old 08-12-2009, 02:53 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
im running two 57mm t3/t4 hybrids
nice those are dialed!perfect for your motor. easy to spool up huh?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86GT 93LX
nice those are dialed!perfect for your motor. easy to spool up huh?
ya, its almost instantaneous. i stab the throttle, it hessitates for a half second and then just rapes. its making full boost around 3000rpm and when it hits its like being rear ended by a semi. still only running low boost, came into some money recently so hoping to get on the dyno in the next few weeks. I get paid friday so we'll see what happens.