5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Whats it take to run 10s

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:44 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
Your right J ...I'm not infact not at all right now, the wife lost her job and sorta is glad and doesn't wanna go back to work, so now I can't afford to break much less race....women...............

sorry to hear about that.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Milford

Ok about the pump gas 93 to me is pump gas at some gas stations in the burbs around chicago where I'm from. Now I am down in the desert of Cali and can get stuff rust free out here. So are you trying to tell me that I would have to run race fuel in a 347 to get it to hit 10s? In that case I would make it low commpression and throw a single turbo on it. Just make it have a higher redline with the internals used that way I can spool it and not have a problem making boost. Also it being lower compression that means I can run it off of 91 or 93 octane no problem and not have to worry about pre det
Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you can run 10's with a 347 n/a and on pump gas, whenever the funds are right I'll be back at the track and will do it, mine is pump gas friendly, i'M SHOOTING for a 10.90 on the motor, shouldn't be a prob as long as I drive it like I stole it
Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 PM
86blkconv

Originally Posted by Liquid_02
351 does drop right in, only thing you really need is a new flywheel and balancer for the 28.2oz imbalance. You will run into hood clearance problems, even with my 2.5" cowl on my car, I still have to take it to the body shop to get the hood bent in a few key places. DON'T drop the motor. That's the worst way to go about doing anything on a car. That changes the geometry of your driveline. You drop the motor, trans goes up, as does your driveshaft.

Only way you'll see 10's on a car that's N/A made to run on pump gas is to go big. You won't see that with a 347 made to run on 91, you may get close, but won't break that 10 second marker. If you don't have the displacement to make the power, you need compression. Build a 393 or 408, and you shouldn't have much trouble touching high 10's
here is a link to 2 pics of a friend of mine's car that i help with. 347, mexican block, trick flow heads, parker funnel web, 650 mighty demon, C-4 w/brake,3.73's, custom cam, full bassani exhaust long tubes-tail pipes, 10.50-10.60's all day long on the motor and yes on pump gas (93 octane)! 150 shot soon to come with the new 3.55 gears!!

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/x...54_6358107.jpg
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/x...9b753a3d36.jpg

Last edited by 86blkconv; 08-17-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

everyone is throwing out engine combos. there is a big word here that he posted EMISSIONS he said he needs to pass. So carbs are out so is anything other then a 351 based block engine. and so are turbos unless you can find a old Icon kits that were CARB approved good luck with that they are had to find and not real cheap and they have been out of business for years. Unless there is a new set up out there for a push rod engine that carries a CARB # that I don't know about. What you want to do will be tough tiring to pass emissions and all but has been done. Rick Anderson use to run in a green class and he would run well in the 10s and one of the rules was at the end of a run you would have to pass a sniffer test. So that means smallish camshaft, good flowing heads and lots of boost from a S/C and a punch from a stroker would help also. That I think would be the easiest cheapest way. doing it N/a with a 347 I think would be tough and you are gone to spend some money doing it. na with a big cube 351 stroker now that would help or a big cube 351 with some boost on it. But even with all CARB parts we know that still might not pass. So in the end you might want to call someone that has done this for some info also Anderson Ford Motorsport.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Milford

Ok cool. Now the thing to keep in mind about the emmisions deal is as long as the car will run good enough with cats for that one day it has to go through emmisions its fine. I can reset the timing and run it leaner by using small injectors for emmisions. Now I will check into it and IIRC I can register the car south of me at a freinds house in the sticks and not have to worry about it but I will have to check that. I think the biggest concern here would be the cam and also not having a CARB and running a EFI motor instead. I will talk to some people and see whats up with it. I will just keep the stock cats and swap those out with an off road X pipe when I am not going through emmisions. My Dad is a mech for ford and he knows some tricks to get cars and trucks to pass emmisions to so I will see. I also dont want to do this on a bigger motor then the 302 base yeah a 351 would be cool because its not often you see it but going with the base motor and just building it from there would be better to me.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Become friendly with a smog shop, that's what I did!
Old 08-18-2009, 03:21 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Originally Posted by Milford
I can reset the timing and run it leaner by using small injectors for emmisions.
The chip in my car will take away fuel with the flip of a switch. A tuner can hook you up if you go that route.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Milford

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
The chip in my car will take away fuel with the flip of a switch. A tuner can hook you up if you go that route.
I think I know of one that I would go to that is also known in the diesel world. Didnt know you could do that in a gasser with the flip of a sitch. How drastic is the change?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Milford

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
Become friendly with a smog shop, that's what I did!
No smog shops back home in IL just the states emissions testing facilities. They put the car or truck on a dyno and run it up to like 60 mph or something like that with a machine hooked up to the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Whats it take to run 10s