5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

want to upgrade brakes with 1k

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 PM
4REKILLER

Originally Posted by .boB
Once again, the urban brake myths rise to the top.

Stock rotors are vented.

Slotted rotors act like a cheese grater, and remove a small amount of material with each pass. That's OK when you're beating on your brakes lap after lap. On the street there's no advantage, and lots of disadvantage. Increased noise and dust, decreased pad life.

Drilling and dimpeling is striclty for bling, it has no functional effect. Drilling also gives rise to stress fractures, and the rotors won't last as long. There is no cooling advantage. Pads don't outgass like they used to, either.
I would have to disagree with you on no advantage on slotted rotors. There is an advantage with brake pads not glazing up. Yeah you do get more brake dust but no on the increased noise.

As for drilled rotors you are right with stress cracking. As for functional effect most high end car have them (ex. Ford GT) and not for bling.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:58 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4REKILLER
I would have to disagree with you on no advantage on slotted rotors. There is an advantage with brake pads not glazing up. Yeah you do get more brake dust but no on the increased noise.

As for drilled rotors you are right with stress cracking. As for functional effect most high end car have them (ex. Ford GT) and not for bling.
What causes pad glazing? Heat. A lot of heat. Where does that happen? On the race track. You don't get that kind of heat on the street, unless you're street racing. And then you're a moron. The OP isn't racing.

Take a cruise through the FAQ's of companies like Wilwood and Baer, and see what they say about driller rotors. The Ford GT has drilled rotors for the same reason it has a hood scoop: because customers want that. That's the only reason.

High end cars - ferraris and porshe's - have drilled rotors for the same reason. The vast majority of owners never see a race track. Look at a true racing rotor for these same cars, and there are no holes.

Some race cars (like F1) use a drilled rotor. But, they're a special material, cost thousands of dollars each, and only have to run a few miles compared to a DD Mustang. I'm pretty sure the OP - along with most everybody reading this - does not fall into that catagory.

Here's a stock ford rotor compared to a wilwood racing rotor:

Old 08-03-2010, 04:16 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

good point. i will be DD. i just want better brakes. nothing special.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:38 PM
4REKILLER

Originally Posted by .boB
What causes pad glazing? Heat. A lot of heat. Where does that happen? On the race track. You don't get that kind of heat on the street, unless you're street racing. And then you're a moron. The OP isn't racing.

Take a cruise through the FAQ's of companies like Wilwood and Baer, and see what they say about driller rotors. The Ford GT has drilled rotors for the same reason it has a hood scoop: because customers want that. That's the only reason.

High end cars - ferraris and porshe's - have drilled rotors for the same reason. The vast majority of owners never see a race track. Look at a true racing rotor for these same cars, and there are no holes.

Some race cars (like F1) use a drilled rotor. But, they're a special material, cost thousands of dollars each, and only have to run a few miles compared to a DD Mustang. I'm pretty sure the OP - along with most everybody reading this - does not fall into that catagory.
We could go back in forth on this for days. Lets just agree to disagree on this.

19stan88 ask for input about making his car brake better. My suggestion is vented rotors with slots and I would like to add steel braided brake lines to replace the rubber ones too. It works for me.

Last edited by 4REKILLER; 08-03-2010 at 05:48 PM.