5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

strait edge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Its not that bad. If its your first build like this, mark everything and take pictures. Get a cheap stamp set to mark the rods and main caps. When rebuilding it follow an engine building book to get the exact tolerances to measure and torque specs for your engine. Just take your time and you'll be proud to say its your build in the end.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Its not hard at all as long as your big a$$ doesn't break a ring lol. It pretty much is just a bolt down and go. Be sure to lube it all up really nice before hand. Get the ring's gaps in the right places. Dip the pistons in oil before you put them in the ring compressor and in the cylinders. Bearings are a line up correctly and bolt in. Nothing to it.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:15 AM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
haha. well its possible the dumb **** forgot the head gasket. fired it up. got pissed it was smoking/leaking, and then got the crate motor to replace it, giving up on the motor.

there's no telling.

I'm still considering calling the guy, and being like "WTF?!" he seemed like a pretty cool guy, said he has a 408 turbo fox, supposedly.
.....I guess,but water would have been pouring down the side of the block,I dunno you talk like he is an intelligent guy,but the no head gasket and he said it ran is throwing a flag to me.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_penquin
Its not that bad. If its your first build like this, mark everything and take pictures. Get a cheap stamp set to mark the rods and main caps. When rebuilding it follow an engine building book to get the exact tolerances to measure and torque specs for your engine. Just take your time and you'll be proud to say its your build in the end.
Originally Posted by projectresto83
Its not hard at all as long as your big a$$ doesn't break a ring lol. It pretty much is just a bolt down and go. Be sure to lube it all up really nice before hand. Get the ring's gaps in the right places. Dip the pistons in oil before you put them in the ring compressor and in the cylinders. Bearings are a line up correctly and bolt in. Nothing to it.
hmmmm maybe I'll give it a shot. If I get the shop to check the block/dip it for me to clean everything out, it would probably save me atleast $200 minimum if I did the work myself.

Originally Posted by holyshift
.....I guess,but water would have been pouring down the side of the block,I dunno you talk like he is an intelligent guy,but the no head gasket and he said it ran is throwing a flag to me.

well out of all the people ive spoken too via craigslist selling parts to me, or buying parts from me, hes the first guy that SOUNDED like he knew what he was talking about. most people spout off a bunch of BS trying to sound tough. like the guy that was going to buy my old E7 heads, telling me how his stock fox with bolt on's and slicks beat a c6 z06 up to 130mph. multiple times.......

so who knows what was the case. I can't seem to find his number, I normally save a screen shot of the ad of anything I buy, but I guess I didn't with this one, or else I would call and ask.

as of now the plan is to get the shop to check/clean the block, and ill decide from there if I will just pay them to re-ring the pistons and install new bearings.

what about balancing the crank/rods? isn't that normally only done when your spinning the motor pretty high? 6,500rpm+?

I will be shifting around 5800rpm if it helps
Old 11-17-2010, 12:23 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Wouldn't hurt to have it balanced,just be a piece of mind to know its done.