5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

I'm lost...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:17 PM
alwayswright328

Default I'm lost...

I've posted to this forum quite a bit recently about my 92 that is proving to be the biggest money pit i have ever seen. i rebuilt roughly 4,000 miles ago with the help of my father in law that is more than a qualified mechanic. the rings were pretty much shot so i knew it had to be done. Had heads, block and crank done by a machinist that builds racing engines around the st. louis area. got everything back and assembled with chrome alloy clevite rings and bearings. gave me some problems initially that we ironed out with pinging due to timing and a faulty injector. about 2,000 miles after the rebuild the rings acted like they seated well after a 300 mile trip. no smoke no oil burning. just tonight though, i checked the oil before i left and was not even a half quart low but when i checked again 150 miles later when i arrived the dipstick came out completely dry. It smokes when it is under a load and when it starts after running for a while. I am a student at the University of Illinois and currently have no money to put into this car especially after already having put a few thousand into modifications. What could possibly cause this to happen after rings have been set and the car has not been driven hard in the slightest??? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:32 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you have no money to fix it...then it will stay unfixed, I've seen faulty finish hone jobs cause such, Once I had a cheap set of rings be the culprit and so forth ect ect.......doesn't matter if the machinest is a so called "expert" it happens to the best of the best sometimes.....live with it until you can tear it back apart.