5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Wanting Some info on fox's.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

If you want heads, I'd go straight to the manufacturer. Looking online will prob result in people that buy parts but don't know what they are doing and end up giving bad/average ratings of parts. Give trickflow or AFI a call... and personally talk to them. Tell them what you want, what you have, and they will tell you what you can or cannot afford.

Opionions from people that don't know what they are talking about are about worth as much as a stick of gum.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM
prangy
1st Gear Member

I agree with Tony about calling about the heads and cam. I bought Trick Flows Top End Kit due to some people that have worked with 5.0 forever telling me to. For the smaller parts that are external to the motor, I just used Summit and was pretty impressed with how fast they ship. I also used Americanmuscle, took a little longer but the parts still got here and are all in fine condition.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Trying to compare any stock head ported or not to an aftermarket head is comparing night to day.
Trick Flow, Edelbrock, AFR and many others all have better heads out of the box than Ford ever offered on a production car.
I've been buying from Summit since 1979, they are very good.
Holcomb is a place from North Carolina that's real good also.........
Old 02-07-2012, 03:36 AM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tig
I have been a die hard summit fan until I found rockauto. I ordered ball joints for my other vehicle, rockauto was almost $40 less than summit. Shipping was jus as fast as summit to. I'll still use summit though, theyve been great all these years.
As far as oem spec replacement parts, I don't find it worth while for that, I go to my local parts store so I have a warranty. Performance parts though they are a great place. Jegs isn't bad but they are usually pricier, I did love that jegs sells misc brake parts that allow you to build custom brake hoses, otherwise I'd be stock with 2 rear rubber hoses
Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

With say the Trickflow top end kit, and stock compression, what kind of RWHP numbers are you guys putting down?

I am finding a lot of turbo build's and things, but dont see much info on what the stock 302, or a 306 is getting with just heads, intake, and cam swap kit(s). Anyone have some good articles for me to read and learn some more about these motors and what they are capable of?

Or articles that explain what the different cams are providing? or comparing them? Which cams do alot of you guys like?

This fox will be a second car, and it will be pleasure only.

Last edited by jtb727; 02-07-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Tig

Originally Posted by mustangGT86_05
As far as oem spec replacement parts, I don't find it worth while for that, I go to my local parts store so I have a warranty. Performance parts though they are a great place. Jegs isn't bad but they are usually pricier, I did love that jegs sells misc brake parts that allow you to build custom brake hoses, otherwise I'd be stock with 2 rear rubber hoses
Its all in your planning, hah. I place my orders at the beginning of the week and have my parts ready to install that weekend . Typically, summit has my parts at my door within two days, rockauto was two days to. I tried all my local parts suppliers, noone had Moog. Just rebranded parts.

Good advise Tony. I agree. Contacting them and speaking with a rep will get you further than any parts supplier will.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I bought a 2000 mountaineer engine. The only thing that I found on the internet said they were to 9:1 engines but, that is bull****. They have a smaller combustion chamber than the other heads and the pistons had no dish at all. I have several motors laying around from 95s and earlier and they all had at least a small dish along with the valve reliefs. After tearing the motor down, I found out why it ran so good with such low boost. It had more compression.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 02-07-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 AM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Is it possible to get 320ishRWHP from an NA 306? I know that the "306" won't add much as far as performance, but one I get a fox, and it's apart, the block will be going to the machine shop and getting prepped. I would also like to bump compression to about 10.5:1 or 11:1. Trickflow Top end kit(or similar, maybe source the parts from different places and piece it together). Not finding much on 302 builds as far as research.. Gonna talk to some local guys, and AMP performance is who we used to get the parts to rebuild our terminator when the clutch grenaded, and they do alot with foxbody's as well.

My goals for the car are:
1. Have something that will be fairly reliable however, it's going to be a second car and see mostly cruise nights, and track time.
2. Have something that will hold it's own against most other street cars, a small shot of spray may be added.
3. Something I can have a lot of fun in!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

That 320RWHP number is very doable out of a 306.
My old one made more than even being all motor.
AMP is a place where I found it wise to really keep an eye on what you buy from them as well as 'advice' from them.
They don't even build the engines they use in the race car they have......
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 AM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Oh really? We've never had any problems with them but I have heard a few horror stories.

Tinman, I see your in arizona. How hard is it to get one of these things to pass emissions? I'm betting a higher compression, and trickflow top end will kill ANY hopes of passing emissions?

Now I do know that certain insurance policies make a car "emissions Exempt" how many of you guys go this route?

Last edited by jtb727; 02-09-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Wanting Some info on fox's.