5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

engine modifications

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM
89fiveeight
2nd Gear Member

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...w=1920&bih=979

Start here. Check back periodically.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:21 PM
newpony
2nd Gear Member

thought about going with a honda . hodas actually one of my favorite cars . same deal there though what it takes to get fast as id like i could do with a fox which i already have have .you dont want to know what i was goingt to say next.

a 12/ 11 second fox shouldnt be to hard and my 302 is beasty as it is just dont think im near 300 hp for starters and its a 300+cubic inch motor .
im just looking at the deeper side of solid car& engine
balancing aftermarket pistons and upgraded valve train with a nice set of heads i think should do nice . but thinking and knowing is all to different things so i seek advice on getting it right and a nice combo the first time around . i had a guy show me a trickflow topend fox said it makes about 350hp but i was not impressed sure i bet its fast but im not trying to get caught in between fast and impressive fast . i plan on upgrading the engine and ditching half the bolt ons i have .

was looking at supercharging but for 2k and a gain of 50-75 hp just isnt what im looking for on top of needing supporting mods its just somthing off there .

if i do charge it i think id go with an upgraded pulley set and hope to make 7-10 lbs of boost isn't there a rule where 7lbs of boost should yield about 50% power increase with it tuned . well at 5-6 lbls - 50 -75 hp gain just is not what id be satisfied with while if i go with 2-4 more lbs of boost id would like to hope i would have gained at least 100 hp on a stock 302.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

No set rule on boost and power output! 1 will work better and make more or less power on the next car!

You want a definate power gain put 100 shot on it! A good wet kit will surprise you on the gain!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:49 PM
newpony
2nd Gear Member

im not looking to go with nitrous because i plan in using it on the street as well . for the track maybe but then i could just build a nitrous car and say skip alot of other things but at the end of the day it'll be a stock engine on the street .

I thugght the limit to how the 302w makes powere was in the rpms.. so looking at heads a set of 185s would need around how many rpms to make a decent amount of hp .. and saying 300-350 to the wheels makes it sound alot more easy but overall 400+ to the engine is my goal
Old 10-13-2012, 08:06 PM
cmc87

It isn't as easy as saying more RPM is more power. You've got this whole RPM thing mixed up. First of all, if you want a street car, you don't want to be revving to 8000 to make power. On the street, you spend 95% of the time between idle and 3000 rpm. Maybe once in a while you will get on the go pedal and redline. For a street car, you really want to be operating in the range from idle-6000, no need for more RPM.
You don't need x amount of RPM to make good HP. That is a very backwards way of looking at it. The parts you pick will dictate how much power and at what RPM range they will make said power at.

Secondly, 300-350 (more like 335, really) to the wheels is saying 400HP at the crank. It is the same amount of power, thus the same goal. Can be done with a 302, but much easier and more likely to achieve with a stroker.
Again, did you read this? http://www.fiveohinfo.com/performanc...x50builds.html

Last edited by cmc87; 10-13-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:16 AM
newpony
2nd Gear Member

I have not read that ,Thanks ill check it out.

the rpm things comes from every time i tell someone i want a 400 hp motor they say i need rpms.
now an low 11 second car is what i'm chasing and not even sure if 400 hp would get me there but seems like a nice place to start .i don't want a full track car i want it to be more of a street beastly daily driver , and occasionally a few track runs looking at putting it into bracket racing think its a 12 second class.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

http://www.fordracingparts.com/CrateEngine/Main.asp#smb
Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM
89fiveeight
2nd Gear Member

Old 10-14-2012, 02:29 PM
newpony
2nd Gear Member

ill pass and sell my car and get a nissan before i spend 8k+ on just a motor.

Talked to my builder about building a 351 efi hes telling me it wont be cheap but im sure it wont be near 8k and should offer a nice upgrade over stock .

If i cant find an in with this mustang thing im just going to say for get it and sell everything for cheap , he said dont give up but i have a different style of doing things . rather get a monster port job on the stock heads and balance the block and all for hoped of 400hp 335 to the wheels . every time i run a idea by someone they give me a very expensive excuse that has hidden details ..

leading my to aftermarket heads and seeking as much advice as possible .
Just because a car has power dose not mean its fast , ive seen and talked to guys with h/c/i's and nitrous and they talk about how there in the 12s high 11's 11.7s and thats just a waste if you ask me
Old 10-14-2012, 02:57 PM
cmc87

No need to spend 8k on the motor do hit 11's. If you went through the article, you can hit 350hp at the crank for 2 grand (buying used), and with some good suspension work, sticky tires and a good driver you can be in the 11's no problem.

The guys that are pushing high power but bad times probably never invested into suspension, only focused on the motor. Mind you, a 302 N/A is really only good to get 11's (high), you won't see many going under 11.5. Those that do probably are probably on a serious diet.

A 351W built right will offer a stupid amount over a stock 302. Can't even compare.
What is your budget? Name what you are willing to spend, your precise goal (high 11's, low 11's) and we can go from there.

Quick Reply: engine modifications