5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Fuel injector swap problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:14 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Let me go see if I can find them and what I maybe broke taking them off. If you do get these, I would recommend having someone help you pulse these injectors with a brake cleaner straw stuck in them. They have been sitting a really long time.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:28 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Looks like I left them in a msd distributor cap package. They smell like old gas and about all the plastic pintle caps are cracked.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:42 AM
Lukeb11

Originally Posted by Derf00
yes and no. Yes they will physically swap but since the condition of the swapped ones is different than the original ones in there, the computer has to relearn the fuel trims. That and you have now installed unmatched fuel injectors. Matching is where the supplier matches the flow rate of all the injectors to be within a certain % of each other. Matching yields more consistent performance and can actually improve MPG.

so

When fuel injectors are so far out of tolerance with each other it can cause some performance issues that in most cases will sort themselves out.

I bet if you hooked up a live data capable OBDII scanner and watched the fuel trims on the side you just replaced, your short term fuel trim settings will be jumping all over the place.

If you haven't already, disconnect your negative terminal for about 15 minutes to reset your ECM, this forces the car to use the default fuel trim table and learn a new one quicker vs trying to rewrite an existing table.

After you've done that, let it idle at temp for two minutes, turn on the AC at full blast and let it sit for two more minutes at idle (if you're an auto, put it in Drive with your foot on the brake too). This resets the idle fuel trim and timing. After that's done drive it around the block a few times and see how it responds then.
So I disconnected the battery for a couple hours, I then turned on the car and it was still running rich. I took it for a drive when it warmed it got a little better until the end of my drive when it threw a code at me. I pulled the code and got 177, system running rich. So I guess I'm just gonna say I have bad injectors??
Old 06-30-2017, 12:31 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

you said your car ran perfect before the swap, why not just put those back in there? Are these supposed to get better gas mileage or something?
Old 06-30-2017, 02:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...tor-specs.html

Same era and applications but slightly different. Since you're using 4/4 of each that could be the issue. Again fuel injectors should be matched. You have a mismatch at this point.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:47 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Yeah, if you have those two injectors, they won't work together. I also wonder if anyone has data on using the 4 hole injectors.

When tuning an engine for our year models, injector high slope, low slope, breakpoint, offset vs. battery voltage has to be changed at a bare minimum. I would bet that those injectors don't have the same data.

In other words, better atomization is good. But without a chip, I don't think your computer will be able to take advantage of it. Theoretically you should see an increase in fuel efficiency with the 4 hole injectors.

Then again, if by some chance the data isn't that far off, they may work IF you have all the same injectors. Mixing and matching won't work with those.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 06-30-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:25 PM
Lukeb11

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
Yeah, if you have those two injectors, they won't work together. I also wonder if anyone has data on using the 4 hole injectors.

When tuning an engine for our year models, injector high slope, low slope, breakpoint, offset vs. battery voltage has to be changed at a bare minimum. I would bet that those injectors don't have the same data.

In other words, better atomization is good. But without a chip, I don't think your computer will be able to take advantage of it. Theoretically you should see an increase in fuel efficiency with the 4 hole injectors.

Then again, if by some chance the data isn't that far off, they may work IF you have all the same injectors. Mixing and matching won't work with those.
I think the problem is that they are mismatched, I know I've read on these forms people who have used both BUT they are matching sets. Also I'm 99% positive these should work without any tuning. They should be plug and play. So I'm getting a set of matched injectors and I'll post my results when I install them.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:44 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

cool, good deal.

After thinking about it, your biggest issue may only be idle in open loop, when you first crank they engine. Even then, you may not have any issues at all since they are 19lbers