Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:50 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CA Coyote
Look at these responses to my (more than) innocent experiences. They're wound up and that, therefore makes me wound up. It's called a "reaction" to being persecuted (unfairly).

I NEVER said the filter increased anything "exponentially" (everyone else seems to be saying that I did, though?). This is exactly what I'm so "wound up about" (amongst other things). Go back and re-read my comments. They are measured and conservative. I used words like "slight", "subtle" about any changes I experienced and that I would have to "guess" about any HP increases?

I really question yours (and others) reading comprehension? You have made a mountain out of a molehill here, really.
you came in here to tell us you put an air filter in your car and noticed a difference "right off the bat." Yes, you did, I'll even quote you directly:

Just installed a K&N air filter in my Mustang. Noticed a difference right off the bat (more power and better mileage). I haven't dyno'd it yet but I wonder how much more HP I have (over stock 435HP), with this easy mod upgrade.
you can't notice a difference in gas mileage "right off the bat" because your gas mileage will change if you do something as simple as wiggling your toe. look, the air filter is probably one of the least restrictive things in your engine's airflow. replacing it with a slightly better flowing filter isn't going to do dick. It sure as hell isn't going to get you the 10-20 hp you were hoping it would get you.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:22 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Most of K&N's claims have been pretty much debunked. In fact, besides not increasing horsepower, they are often more restrictive than OEM and have poorer filtering performance and dirt capacity that OEM style paper filters. In my own experience with my Toyota truck fitting a K&N drop-in filter caused a 10-20% loss in fuel mileage. Spent a lot of money trying to figure it out before swapping the OEM filter back in - bingo, mileage immediately returned. I'm going to leave this right here:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking...r-t180100.html
Old 02-04-2016, 10:23 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CA Coyote
Look at these responses to my (more than) innocent experiences. They're wound up and that, therefore makes me wound up. It's called a "reaction" to being persecuted (unfairly).

I NEVER said the filter increased anything "exponentially" (everyone else seems to be saying that I did, though?). This is exactly what I'm so "wound up about" (amongst other things). Go back and re-read my comments. They are measured and conservative. I used words like "slight", "subtle" about any changes I experienced and that I would have to "guess" about any HP increases?

I really question yours (and others) reading comprehension? You have made a mountain out of a molehill here, really.
To "notice a difference right off the bat" and claim ("guess") a "10+hp" difference is claiming an exponential difference. $300 CAI barely give 11hp increases. Don't fall behind semantics to backpedal, move goal posts and create a straw-man - be better than that.

I highly question that you have actually read my replies if you are lumping me in with others who you feel were "mean" in some way, as I have been nothing but polite and courteous with my responses to you while you continue to dismiss responses and be seemingly willfully obtuse on this matter. There's a difference between "defending oneself" and being incorrect. You seem to feel as though you're being "persecuted" in some way because others are saying your new air filter didn't increase your car's performance in any way...

Simply put, your K&N air filter did nothing that you would or could notice "off the bat" (or potentially at all) in your Mustang GT.

Last edited by Spork3245; 02-04-2016 at 10:35 PM.