Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Considering getting a 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:26 PM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

I have 13000 miles on my 5.0 and before y'all freak out; I travel alot. Anyways, no problems at all with it, even with it tuned by Bama.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:38 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Test drive the new 392 Challenger when it comes out, and a 5.0, in the same day. Whichever ones puts the biggest smile on your face, order to meet your specifications.

The Challenger is a real cruiser, and has big power potential right out of the box. It's never going to be, or feel, like a nimble car - the handling characteristics are less than confidence inspiring, for sure - but you'll always have a hoot behind the wheel. If you do lots of interstate cruising, you really can't go wrong with the Challenger.

Now, if you want a car that can hold it's own both in the straights and when the road gets twisty, the Mustang is more for you. It lacks the low-RPM grunt of the Challenger, but on the top end it seriously screams. If you've ever seen them parked side by side, the Mustang certainly isn't as in-your-face as the Challenger, both in sheer size and looks.

Again, it's all up to what makes you happy. You really can't go wrong with either car, which is what makes options so great

Viva la musclecar!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:20 PM
wesessiah

i think one big advantage for the mustang is the aftermarket support, and the amount of being providing info through trial and error.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:29 AM
08alloy

I've had my 5.0 for eight weeks, it has been in the shop waiting on parts for five weeks. At around 2000 mile it broke a valve spring, the back valance does not match the rest of the car. Ford doesn't want to warranty the paint cause it is a Roush stage one, Roush doesn't want to warranty the paint cause that is original ford part. I am currently out of country on vacation and I will return on 2 October if my car isn't fixed I will request my money back. The dealership claim it will be fixed by tomorow.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Rebel302
1st Gear Member

RIP-U-N2,

You're in an envious position for most people. I like what someone said about waiting to test drive the 392-Challenger SRT8. But think about exactly what you'd like from your musclecar. If you want pure performance/value, it's 5.0 Mustang all the way. Otherwise, you'll have to decide how much looks, ride, & performance all matter. The Challenger is a sweet car. Either one will make for some fun driving.

As for the '11 Mustang, here are my impressions in my 25-days of owning one.
-everday ride is very comfortable
-the brembos stop way better than the stock GT brakes
-6spd is very smooth & shift throw is short, I feel no need to change it
-engine winds up quickly b/c tranny gear ratios are very close
-I recommend the 3.73's
-visibility is very good but it's taken me awhile to get used to the blindspot mirrors
-acceleration is definitely above average pulls strong all the way to redline. It never feels like it runs out of breath. If anything, it feels like it can keep on going.
-SYNC is outstanding. Voice control for phone or ipod/MP3 is so nice. It's nice to be able to use cell phone through the sound system. Makes it alot easier to focus on driving if you need to talk. Really worth it IMHO.
-the leather in the upgraded interior is better than the regular leather seats
-the valve train seems to make more noise than the 4.6L 3V did if your next to a wall. But I've heard it on all the 5.0's I checked out. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Definitely test drive one & be sure to check out all the features & test them out. It's really the only way for you to know if you even like it. Good luck making your decision & let us know what you decide to do.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Rebel302
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08alloy
I've had my 5.0 for eight weeks, it has been in the shop waiting on parts for five weeks. At around 2000 mile it broke a valve spring, the back valance does not match the rest of the car. Ford doesn't want to warranty the paint cause it is a Roush stage one, Roush doesn't want to warranty the paint cause that is original ford part. I am currently out of country on vacation and I will return on 2 October if my car isn't fixed I will request my money back. The dealership claim it will be fixed by tomorow.
Sorry to hear that man! I hope they get it all straightened out for you.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:49 PM
5ohwhoa

I'd go with the 5.0. While that new 392 Challenger might be faster in a straight line, it won't be nearly as fun in the twisties which is where I think this new '11 truly shines. The GT will also be significantly cheaper.

But yeah, test drive both, see which one you want. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

6k miles on my 5.0 with no issues. I love driving it every day. Sometimes I walk in the garage to just look at it.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 AM
redneckromeo

Originally Posted by Rebel302
RIP-U-N2,

You're in an envious position for most people. I like what someone said about waiting to test drive the 392-Challenger SRT8. But think about exactly what you'd like from your musclecar. If you want pure performance/value, it's 5.0 Mustang all the way. Otherwise, you'll have to decide how much looks, ride, & performance all matter. The Challenger is a sweet car. Either one will make for some fun driving.

As for the '11 Mustang, here are my impressions in my 25-days of owning one.
-everday ride is very comfortable
-the brembos stop way better than the stock GT brakes
-6spd is very smooth & shift throw is short, I feel no need to change it
-engine winds up quickly b/c tranny gear ratios are very close
-I recommend the 3.73's
-visibility is very good but it's taken me awhile to get used to the blindspot mirrors
-acceleration is definitely above average pulls strong all the way to redline. It never feels like it runs out of breath. If anything, it feels like it can keep on going.
-SYNC is outstanding. Voice control for phone or ipod/MP3 is so nice. It's nice to be able to use cell phone through the sound system. Makes it alot easier to focus on driving if you need to talk. Really worth it IMHO.
-the leather in the upgraded interior is better than the regular leather seats
-the valve train seems to make more noise than the 4.6L 3V did if your next to a wall. But I've heard it on all the 5.0's I checked out. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Definitely test drive one & be sure to check out all the features & test them out. It's really the only way for you to know if you even like it. Good luck making your decision & let us know what you decide to do.

Dodge's Uconnect/mygig works just like sync. Its almost a wash there.

You already know my opinion Ripn2u. But I still think both are great cars. I may just have a loly 6.1 liter, but both are great cars. My spin on it is I never trust first model year runs. From any company.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
yellowblz11
1st Gear Member

I say go with the 5.0, its the best bang for the buck...just makes sense..do it..do it.doooo iiiiiiit lol u know u wanna do it!

Quick Reply: Considering getting a 2011 5.0