Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

a/c slow to cool the car. What temp vent air if 90F outside?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 AM
wd_40

Default Hot a/c

I was Googling A/C issues and came across your A/C issue. I just bought a 2013 GT, and I noted that the A/C did not get cold on the test drive, but since I drove it a few blocks, thought it did not have time to cool down. On the way home after the purchase, the A/C temp was tepid at best. My digital thermometer shows the vent temp at best to be 45 degrees, but it will normally hover around 47-48. My old company car (GM) runs about 35 degrees. Went back to the dealer and walked with the sales representative to a 2008 Mustang that was in the used car lot. Within three minutes, the vent temp was 33.6.

Ford tells me the unit is within standards, but I've read training articles that show the evaporator temperature should cool to near freezing. This should keep the vent temperature near freezing. I've checked several other vehicles and show the same vent temp in the mid 30's. Ford refuses to deal with a defective design, so we are going to arbitration, then court.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:55 PM
2000WhiteMustangGT

Thanks for the posting and please let us know how it works out.

While at my latest trip to the dealer to get several things fixed they thought my AC system was working fine, i have noticed at times when the system is turned off there is a small amount of heat coming out at the upper dash vents just at the bottom of the windshield causing the interior windshield to fog (when the outside air is cooling at night), and thus i think the dampers which control air around the heater core and evaporator core must not be closing properly and thus is probably the cause of the ac system not working to capacity . When the system is off there should not be any air coming out of any vents and thus suspect the heater core damper is not closing and thus when the ac is on the cooled air is getting mixed with some hot air....
Old 10-01-2012, 08:02 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wd_40
I was Googling A/C issues and came across your A/C issue. I just bought a 2013 GT, and I noted that the A/C did not get cold on the test drive, but since I drove it a few blocks, thought it did not have time to cool down. On the way home after the purchase, the A/C temp was tepid at best. My digital thermometer shows the vent temp at best to be 45 degrees, but it will normally hover around 47-48. My old company car (GM) runs about 35 degrees. Went back to the dealer and walked with the sales representative to a 2008 Mustang that was in the used car lot. Within three minutes, the vent temp was 33.6.

Ford tells me the unit is within standards, but I've read training articles that show the evaporator temperature should cool to near freezing. This should keep the vent temperature near freezing. I've checked several other vehicles and show the same vent temp in the mid 30's. Ford refuses to deal with a defective design, so we are going to arbitration, then court.
Did you contact Ford or just the Ford dealer. If you have not contact Ford, I would suggest you do it and see what Ford says about this issue. Usually 40 degrees is the norm. Your Mustang is too high. Hope you can get this resolved.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 AM
wd_40

The asst service manager attached a computer to the OBD and was able to check a variety of settings, including opening and closing the vents. I've noticed the same scenario you are describing at times in other vehicles, but it is very dry out here so we don't get much moisture and fog-but i agree there should be no heat coming out of the vents. I thought the American manufacturers had gotten their act together and were comparable to the imports, but it sure doesn't look that way.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM
wd_40

Originally Posted by flash gordon
Did you contact Ford or just the Ford dealer. If you have not contact Ford, I would suggest you do it and see what Ford says about this issue. Usually 40 degrees is the norm. Your Mustang is too high. Hope you can get this resolved.
Ford Customer Service in Detroit dismissed the matter. Their A/C operations document says the evaporator control valve shuts off at 7 degrees C or 45 degrees F, so they say that is normal and within operating standards. If so, why do older Fords produce 33 degree vent temperature. Technical articles explaining A/C operating systems say the evaporator temperature should be 32 degrees, which I find to be what most cars produce which relates to vent temps in the low to mid 30 degree range.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but 32 degrees is the absolute coldest the evaporator can operate at, and typically 35-45 is the norm (no hotter than 45). and temps can be up to 50 as it leaves the vents.

those figures are "within spec" whether you think it's adequate or not. i'm guessing the problem is NV.. 100+ degree whether will make an AC unit function worse. check your temps at night when its 60-70 degrees there now.

low 30s? what are you doing? trying freeze a side of beef in your car?

Last edited by Mishri; 10-02-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 AM
wd_40

Sorry, 45 degree temp vent is not normal and adequate-I've done a lot of research on this and since many other vehicles I've checked, including a 2008 Mustang will routinely blow vent temps in the low 30's, there is an issue with the unit.I've also talked with a few A/C technicians and they agree.Do you work for Ford?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I don't work for Ford.

here is a completely unbiased report on air conditioners, how they work, troubleshooting, and specs.

http://www.ariazone.com/manuals/Auto...g%20Manual.pdf

go to the servicing section.(page 69) where it gives you temp ranges.

I'll provide the info here so you don't have to click on the pdf unless you want to verify I'm reporting accurate info, I have converted it from C to F for you.

1) temp in vehicle 2) temp at vent

68, 39.2-50
77, 41-53.6
86, 42.8-55.4
95, 46.4-57.2

It is within spec and you will eventually get your car down to a comfortable 68-72 degrees.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 AM
wd_40

I'm attaching part of a study guide that is used for A/C student instruction. My buddy came over with his Silverado yesterday and the vent temp reached 35.1. Too many other cars I've tested and owned reach well into the mid 30's. The difference between my current company car and the Mustang is dramatic. If a used 2008 Mustang we tested in the lot reached 33.6, why can't Ford engineer something that works or is more efficient. Although they (Ford) say the A/C is within standards, it is not satisfactory for me, especially when my research produces other results. All of my previously owned vehicles have produced significantly colder air.

thx

EVAPORATOR
Located inside the vehicle, the evaporator serves as the heat absorption component. The evaporator provides several functions. Its primary duty is to remove heat from the inside of your vehicle. A secondary benefit is dehumidification. As warmer air travels through the aluminum fins of the cooler evaporator coil, the moisture contained in the air condenses on its surface. Dust and pollen passing through stick to its wet surfaces and drain off to the outside. On humid days you may have seen this as water dripping from the bottom of your vehicle. Rest assured this is perfectly normal.
The ideal temperature of the evaporator is 32° Fahrenheit or 0° Celsius. Refrigerant enters the bottom of the evaporator as a low-pressure liquid. The warm air passing through the evaporator fins causes the refrigerant to boil (refrigerants have very low boiling points). As the refrigerant begins to boil, it can absorb large amounts of heat. This heat is then carried off with the refrigerant to the outside of the vehicle. Several other components work in conjunction with the evaporator. As mentioned above, the ideal temperature for an evaporator coil is 32° F. Temperature and pressure regulating devices must be used to control its temperature. While there are many variations of devices used, their main functions are the same; keeping pressure in the evaporator low and keeping the evaporator from freezing; A frozen evaporator coil will not absorb as much heat.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 PM
2000WhiteMustangGT

wd_40 On my next dealership visit to get items addressed including the AC, I will ask sit in a couple new mustangs with my temperature gun so i can measure the ac temps at the vents running the engines at the same rpm, same ac settings and same exterior temps to see if mine is significantly different from the others.