Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

MGW question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Jeff Cundiff

why do thay put **** shifters in mustangs just dont get it
Old 11-08-2012, 05:39 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Cundiff
They build the Mustang for the masses. Most people do not know or care about things that we enthusists look at or care for. The stock shifter just plain out sucks to me. Sure there are people that think it is fine, and for them it may be. I look at a lot when I am fixing to spend my money on something. I am not one to try this and then try that to see IF it fixes the problem or satifies my needs. Yes, it costs a little money to do what I want, but I am trying to enhance my over all enjoyment of driving my Mustang. A custom tune is kind of the same thing. A lot of people do not want or even need one. Not bashing just saying. A Mustang in and of itself is a very capable car. I just want a little more. A tune really does improve the overall driveability of to car TO ME in a huge way. It is a "to each their own" thing to me. Sure you will have people flame you or bash you for wanting to do "this" or "that", but, that is their opinion not fact in a lot of cases. IMHO that is were a lot of people get bent out of shape on here because some one asks a question as a newb that has been answered 10,000 times. If it bothers them that much, why post a responce? Sorry I went around the world answering that question. Hope it helps some.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Cundiff
I would venture a guess it's a cost thing. Got to keep the price down (and therefore quality/refinement) to appeal to the correct demographic. Balancing quality/refinement versus cost is tough, so often times the saying "you have to pay to play" is especially relevant with cars. The price of researching and installing an MGW quality shifter into the Mustang was probably outweighed by the fact that most Mustang owners (this doesn't include the enthusiasts inhabiting this forum) would prefer if it was cheaper.

Or something like that.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

The MGW shifter I put in my '06 GT is quieter than the OE .
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I would venture a guess it's a cost thing. Got to keep the price down (and therefore quality/refinement) to appeal to the correct demographic. Balancing quality/refinement versus cost is tough, so often times the saying "you have to pay to play" is especially relevant with cars. The price of researching and installing an MGW quality shifter into the Mustang was probably outweighed by the fact that most Mustang owners (this doesn't include the enthusiasts inhabiting this forum) would prefer if it was cheaper.

Or something like that.
Explained it better than I did. Still waiting on mine to get here.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 PM
bobtail45

Just had mine installed in my 13. All I can say is it's a drastic improvement over stock. No more rubber bushing to impeded shifting. Missing 3rd is now a thing of the past.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Still waiting on mine to get here. Changed my transmission fluid over to Redline MTL. A big improvement over the factory stuff. This coupled with the MGW should be the ticket. While I was under there I did notice how crappy the stock shifter really is. Since the back of the shifter is supported by that stupid cheap bushing, there is a tremendous amount of flex at the back. You can easily move the thing with just your hand. Imagine what it is flexing like when you put 400+ HP on it.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

I have been waiting to buy this shifter because Im worried that if the tranny does decide to go out on me, the dealer will blame the shifter for any problem I may have. Well, I missed 3rd gear Thursday night and yesterday. The stock shifter has to go now and as soon as I save enough cash, it's going in the car. It's pretty embarrassing missing a gear when friends and family are watching. Thursday night was a race against a heavy modded chevy pickup and even though I left him easily, missing 3rd was embarrassing. Next mod, MGW!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
I have been waiting to buy this shifter because Im worried that if the tranny does decide to go out on me, the dealer will blame the shifter for any problem I may have. Well, I missed 3rd gear Thursday night and yesterday. The stock shifter has to go now and as soon as I save enough cash, it's going in the car. It's pretty embarrassing missing a gear when friends and family are watching. Thursday night was a race against a heavy modded chevy pickup and even though I left him easily, missing 3rd was embarrassing. Next mod, MGW!
Yep! Makes us look like we do not know how to drive is what it does!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
Yep! Makes us look like we do not know how to drive is what it does!
+1
I had little issues with 2-3 my issue was 1-2 it always seemed to get hung up in the reverse gate. Not a good thing when trying to drive spirited.

Quick Reply: MGW question