Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

cant play music

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:37 PM
bobsmilie2000
I ♥ Acer

Default cant play music

i get power on my amp when no music is playing but as soon as i turn on the music it goes into failsafe mode. i checked the ground and all the wires and everything looks correct but it wont play. could the amp be burnt out? i have a cap hooked up also could this be another problem? what could it be?

i checked all my fuses and one on the amp was blown, i put a new one in and my problem started
Old 05-24-2007, 04:02 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cant play music

I would do a couple things....

First I would check the power and ground with the amp off. Should have 12 V and you have already tested it.

I would also use an ohmmeter to check the resistance ofyour speakersconnected to the amp. If you are powering subs depending of VCand wiring config you need need to make sure your final load matches the minimum impedance for the amp.

I would then turn the car into the on position to verify you are getting 12Vthrough the remote wire.

Iwould then check the RCA's to make sure the input is a good connection.

I would remove the cap because they are useless and they make the wiring more complicated.

If your amp still isn't working, verify the fuse you put in is the correct size and is in correctly. Then you might try to wire the speaker to each channel (if you have a 2 channel bridged) to see if you have a bad channel on the amp or if its blown.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: bobsmilie2000

i get power on my amp when no music is playing but as soon as i turn on the music it goes into failsafe mode. i checked the ground and all the wires and everything looks correct but it wont play. could the amp be burnt out? i have a cap hooked up also could this be another problem? what could it be?

i checked all my fuses and one on the amp was blown, i put a new one in and my problem started
There was a reason it blew. Until you find what caused it you will continue to have problems. I'm going with an internal problem on the amp since the second fuse hasn't blown and you now have a problem. Whatever blew out the fuse is toast now internally thus the fuse hasn't blown again. Troubleshoot like PR pointed out but I feel an easier way to see if the amp is the problem is to get another amp and do a quick swap.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:22 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: bobsmilie2000

There was a reason it blew. Until you find what caused it you will continue to have problems. I'm going with an internal problem on the amp since the second fuse hasn't blown and you now have a problem. Whatever blew out the fuse is toast now internally thus the fuse hasn't blown again. Troubleshoot like PR pointed out but I feel an easier way to see if the amp is the problem is to get another amp and do a quick swap.

In my younger days I installed some wires backwards and the fuse popped about 5 times before I figured out what it was.

That diagnositc will take about 5 minutes with a multimeter.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:23 PM
webelevy
1st Gear Member

Also check that your speakers are wired correctly. Check the speaker wires to make sure that they are not shorting on anything. Check the insulation to make sure that it is not exposing any bare wire that may be shorting on metal.
Merv