Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

second battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:18 AM
RadarReviews_Net

Default RE: second battery

the extra weight from the battery will slow you down a tad if worried about 1/4 mile, etc.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:22 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, I need your help desperatly[X(].... This topic is by far the most stupid post I have seen on here in a while but it will not be long before this one is surpassed. People ask for advise, then tell me I am wrong and do what they want anyway because a software engineer posted some info on the net so it must be true[:-]. Iwant to go onto this guys software site,and post some BS that I hopehe will have some newb linking to it as tohis reason why. I have a tutorial written that has me literally pointing to what they need and yet I am get questions as to where is what and how is why[&o]......... I think I will be taking a break from here for a while for my sanity or else I am about to start becomming a real d!ck on here[:@].

ORIGINAL: ahittz24

Wow, I have been on these forums for some time now and I just started breezing through the A/V Section about a week ago. I really tried to stay away from this section because I knew that I was going to see stuff like this and I didnt want to have to constantly try to offer advice that some may feel is unwanted. Since that time I have discovered 3 things

1) Most people on here are like a swarming mass of best buy/circuit citysalesmen, they know nothing, yet think they know everything

2) ttocs and I seem to think on the same page because.... we do this professionally

3) Alot of people are COMPLETLY miss informed on MANY areas of car electronics, They think that because they read it on the internet then that must mean its true. WRONG, There are mathematical calculations to determine the current draw of a setup, proper wire sizes, current capacities and so on. Do some researching before you try to be a jack of all trades. I think it would be hard to explain to your insurance company that you burned your car down to the ground because you tried to install a second battery.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 AM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

Alright... I guess I was just trying to find a cheep fix for my whole power drain situation. Obviously the second battery is a bad idea.

I got the smaller pulley for my alternator to bring it back up to speed, and I will get a yellow top Optima. I have some connections that can get meone for $50 from the factory.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

I guarrantee that if you took 100 dollars and bought a 4 gauge amp kit and upgraded the factory grounds in the vehicle, not nescessarily all of them but the main ones, you would see an improvement in electrical performance of your vehicle. Lights would not dim out as badly and you wouldnt create such a strain on the electrical system. Believe it or not, current flows from positive to negative, but electrons move from negative to positive, thats why a good ground is so important. I run a yellow top and a 250 amp alternator in my truck and I only have a JL 300/4 and a JL 500/1 but I upgraded all of the major grounds. Efficeincy is the key to success.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:45 PM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

All grounds are 4 gauge.

I had some guys from circuit city look at it and they pointed out that my ground wires are too long and the paint didn't get scraped off the body connections very good. I'll fix these and see if it fixes things.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:11 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ahittz24

Wow, I have been on these forums for some time now and I just started breezing through the A/V Section about a week ago. I really tried to stay away from this section because I knew that I was going to see stuff like this and I didnt want to have to constantly try to offer advice that some may feel is unwanted. Since that time I have discovered 3 things

1) Most people on here are like a swarming mass of best buy/circuit citysalesmen, they know nothing, yet think they know everything

2) ttocs and I seem to think on the same page because.... we do this professionally

3) Alot of people are COMPLETLY miss informed on MANY areas of car electronics, They think that because they read it on the internet then that must mean its true. WRONG, There are mathematical calculations to determine the current draw of a setup, proper wire sizes, current capacities and so on. Do some researching before you try to be a jack of all trades. I think it would be hard to explain to your insurance company that you burned your car down to the ground because you tried to install a second battery.
AMEN BROTHER!!!!![sm=hail.gif]
Old 03-30-2008, 09:56 PM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

new pulley and fixed ground connections helped a lot. now the voltage only drops .5-1 volt. getting an optima should take that away.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:28 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

that is a big difference...

Do you still have the small battery connected?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:02 AM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

yes, but its only a teporary thing until I get an optima.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:52 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

keep your fire extinguisher and camera ready for us. Actually, can I get a pic of this set up before it melts? It will make for a good before picture and I would love to post it on a forum of industry insiders that I belong to, we get a laugh outta DIY stuff like this....

Quick Reply: second battery