Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

second battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:27 PM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

Default second battery

I have a kicker zx750 and a kicker cvx12. my 1/2 faradcapacitor just wasn't enough[:'(]. So I straped a $20 dollar lawnmower battery from Autozone in the trunk. I tasted the voltage at the amp and it gets a constant 14.4 volts wile running.when I crank it, I can smell the coils heating up way before the sub distorts.maybe the sub isn't fully broken in yet, but it's so loud.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: second battery

if you did not install a fire extinguisher in the car yet, I HIGHLY recommend you do.... And not for you subs or amp melting, one of those batteries...........

A 2nd(matching) battery should only be installed after upgrading the alternator, stock wiring and a bunch of other stuff. A cap is just a waste of space and money, sell it for what you can to somebody else and try upgrading your regular vehicle battery.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:14 PM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

Already did that stuff. 130 Amp alternator, 4 gage wire from alternator to battery and battery to frame. I looked into the optima battery but I chose to use a small battery as a giant capacitor instead. the only thing I need is the underdrive pulley for the alternator... ebay screwed me over.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:52 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

130A with underdrive pullies will barely support the stock system, I just swapped mine out for a 200A.

ok, you missed my point... I was joking about the fire ext, but not about the fire hazzard. How is your battery hooked up, series or
parallel? Did you ever notice that they don't mix aD battery with a AA? They are both 1.5 volts right? The small battery is not make to supply the current your amp can pull. Putting too muchcurrent through a battery can make it melt! Now I don't mean melt as in it will stop working, I mean LITERALLY MELT...........

Pleasego take that small battery out, orgo buy a camaro........
Old 03-25-2008, 01:23 PM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

of course I hooked it up parallel with the main battery[&:]. The battery is inside a plastic casing and literally strapped to body.Also thebattery is the same voltage rating and current rating, just a smaller charge capacity; 90 to be exact. the main battery has a charge capacity of 120.

no offence to others, but I hate Chevy and always will. buying a Camaro is out of the question.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:38 PM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

In case you still think having a smaller battery is bad... fallow the link. It is plainly stated the size of the battery doesn't matter, as long as they are the same voltage rating and in series.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

wow!!! that's long.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

the free information society? Who the heck is jonathon dunder? Oh, he is a computer engineer, that runs a virtual museum and has hobbies in aquariums, microphotography and kayaking... He must be onto something that the rest of us pros have had no idea about. Don't you think that if you could do this that there would not be a full selection of stinger and pheonix gold wrapped batteries right smack dab next to the useless capacitors? Does jonathan cover how much you will be taxing the chargin system in your ride?

I bet I know more about stereos, installation, and specifically the mustang systems then good ol jon with my AAS int EET and 15 yrs installation exp. Good luck, I tried to help.

Dome a favor and please start taking video when you first think yousmell smoke.....
Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

sure, I'll let youknow if the battery melts, but I will probably remove it before that happens. mainly because the second battery should be a deep cycle so the cell aren't destroyed from the constant drain and recharge. Also because I don't have an isolator to separate the to batteries. That's why I'm going to upgrade my 3G to 200A with the bigger Rectifier. that should take care of it.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:51 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I was thinking about this last night and started to wonder if you had fused that 2nd battery in any way? If you were to run a power wire from one battery to the other you would need to have 2 fuses with in 12" of both battsin case it were to short out. Did good old john mention anything about fuses? I didn't see them in that article.

How big is your fire ext? Will you be able to hold it and take video at the same time? Start the camera, and put it down to catch yourself being a hero and putting out the fire..... Make sure your fire ext is rated for electrical fires as well.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:03 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

Wow, I have been on these forums for some time now and I just started breezing through the A/V Section about a week ago. I really tried to stay away from this section because I knew that I was going to see stuff like this and I didnt want to have to constantly try to offer advice that some may feel is unwanted. Since that time I have discovered 3 things

1) Most people on here are like a swarming mass of best buy/circuit citysalesmen, they know nothing, yet think they know everything

2) ttocs and I seem to think on the same page because.... we do this professionally

3) Alot of people are COMPLETLY miss informed on MANY areas of car electronics, They think that because they read it on the internet then that must mean its true. WRONG, There are mathematical calculations to determine the current draw of a setup, proper wire sizes, current capacities and so on. Do some researching before you try to be a jack of all trades. I think it would be hard to explain to your insurance company that you burned your car down to the ground because you tried to install a second battery.

Quick Reply: second battery