Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

wiring harness for mach 460?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:37 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: wiring harness for mach 460?

ORIGINAL: marceleight

I recently hooked up my Pioneer deck with a wiring harness and the mach 460 system sounded even better! Brings out ever more crips lyrics and bass!
So you are putting a high level input into the low level input of the amp? GREAT IDEA [&o]
Old 01-20-2006, 01:35 PM
SLO_GT

Hey. I feel your pain with adding a new CD player to a mustang. People at all the major stores told me that it couldn't be done, or that they would have to "rewire the whole system and bypass the factory amps". First of all, assuming the 99GT is simililar to my 98GT, those guys are out of their mind. All I needed was go to bestbuy (or any place that installs car audio stuff) and pick up a wiring harness kit for my car. It should be about 20 bucks. It includes one harness with a black square type of connector. This plugs into the factory plug that directs signal to the initial amp. On the stereo end of this harness, connect the speaker wires. The other harness in the kit is the gray rectangular harness which has wires for ACCpower, switch power, ground, amp lead, illumination. Doing the whole thing takes a little bit of time for a beginner (maybe an hour). Some people tried to install one of those RCA -type adapters...it was junk. Good luck if you havent already finished.

I know some people say that going this way isnt a good idea for power reasons, but I havent run into any problems. The only one that I can think of is that the tweeters get VERY loud. If I turn up the volume so that I can feel my sub, the tweeters just kill my ears. I can go around this by setting the crossover settings on my Alpine to bring down the front and rear levels about -10 dB. I think this effectively reduces the gain on the factory amplifiers.

Here is a cool site that has some pretty good detail on the mach 460 system.

http://flemworld.com/Mach460/mach.html

Max
Old 01-20-2006, 01:44 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

You install an aftermarket head unit incorrectly, risk ruining your amplifiers and speakers, but the people who tell you not to do this are the ones out of their minds? I think you got it backwards here, dude.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:29 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

WHOA WHOA WHOA... this thread is getting a little out of hand.

First off. its not hard to install an aftermarket head unit onto the mach 460 system. If you take a trip to any of your local radio installation places you can get the proper adapter to hook into the mach system. It comes with a square black plug that attaches to the factory AMP input

***WARNING***
Factory amplifier input is LOW LEVEL.... this means that you must attach RCA connectors to this harness and plug it into your decks pre-amp output

DO NOT CONNECT TO THE SPEAKER OUTPUTS FROM THE RADIO!!!

i would go a take a picture of how my wiring is set up, but it would take me about an hour to get my radio out...
Old 01-21-2006, 03:42 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

WHOA WHOA WHOA... this thread is getting a little out of hand.

First off. its not hard to install an aftermarket head unit onto the mach 460 system. If you take a trip to any of your local radio installation places you can get the proper adapter to hook into the mach system. It comes with a square black plug that attaches to the factory AMP input

***WARNING***
Factory amplifier input is LOW LEVEL.... this means that you must attach RCA connectors to this harness and plug it into your decks pre-amp output

DO NOT CONNECT TO THE SPEAKER OUTPUTS FROM THE RADIO!!!

i would go a take a picture of how my wiring is set up, but it would take me about an hour to get my radio out...
That has been stated numerous times...thanks for your redundant input though.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:33 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: pj1010

That has been stated numerous times...thanks for your redundant input though.
your welcome... i just figured id add in on the dead horse beating..

[8D]

+1
Old 02-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Nevada95
1st Gear Member

For a 95 GT.

I have an aftermarket receiver now that has RCA outputs.
I am trying to figure out how to hook it up to the mach 460.

From what I am reading here, I guess I need to buy the harness for the power, acc, grnd etc.
Then I should get a set of rca cables, plug them into my receiver and then cut off the RCA plugs on the other end and splice it into the speaker wires on the harness?

Does this sound right?
Sice I am coming out of the rca jacks on the receiver, can I get away with not buying one of these?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VIuVLlp...51&I=142C4FDK5

The RCA cables will each have two conductors (two wires). If I am suppose to splice them into the harness, will it matter how I hook up the positive and negative signal? How do I know which is which from the RCA?

I am sorry if I am repeating what has already been said, I just want to make sure that I got this right.

Thank you